Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/06/11 08:03:44 UTC

[MATH] Re: Incubator (Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz)

Sorry, me too forgotten to put the prefix in the subject...

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:58:29 +0900
(Subject: Incubator (Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz))

Re: [MATH] Re: Incubator (Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:15:32 -0400
(Subject: Re: [MATH] Re: Incubator (Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz))
"Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I guess my concern is that [math] is primarily being built by individual
> contributors and not one specific group, its not one big code donation,
> Which is what I took the Incubator charter to mean by
>
> "the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is responsible for the
> acceptance and oversight of new products submitted or proposed to become
> part of the Foundation".
>
> Am I right/wrong?

This is my interpretation, so please do not take it as an Incubator
Project PMC's one.

-- Apache Incubator welcomes the projects which are already decided
-- their destinations. In "Math"'s case, it is destined to go back
-- to commons, so we can accept.

-- Incubator Project might have two posibillities.

-- 1. Donation from other communities (sourceforge, etc.), and
--    which have to be molded to be fit to ASF's licenses, voting
--    rules, etc.
-- 2. Apache Projects to be molded more to form healthy community

-- As for <1>, Tapestry and Lenya were the cases. (Tapestry went
-- to the top of jakarta, Lenya went under the Cocoon project, finally)
-- As for <2>, current "FTPServer" and "AltRMI" are the cases

-- [Math] could have the possiblities of <2> not <1>.

I am not sure the history of "FTPServer" and "AltRMI", so
maybe I am wrong.
(I've heard the "Tapestry", "Lenya"'s cases already)

> thanks for the "cross pollination",

I am still wondering that "math" might have come to get more
NEEDs not only as "small scalable components" but also as "endurable
for commercial use, complexed components, alike to commercial products".
The latter case, there might be a possibilities that "jakarta-maths and
jakarta-commons-math" co-exist...(Also, the community, developers might
be the same) I am not sure my intuition would be realistic or not.

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
-1,

as initially proposed commons-math satisfies the commons charter.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>>Tim,
>>
>>On 10 Jun 2003 16:17:11 -0500
>>"Tim O'Brien" <to...@discursive.com> wrote:
>>

>>>If we wanted to say.... move commons-math to the incubator, then I think
>>>it would be easier to expand the community, but that community would be
>>>external to the existing community here.  Keeping commons-math in the
>>>sandbox increases some of the hurdles, but in the end it will benefit
>>>the community as a whole.
>>
>>I think it is a great idea "commons-sandbox-math to incubator", IMHO.
>>
>>Well, now "math" is one of the subprojects in commons-sandbox,
>>so the community would have come to be small, living in obscurity
>>and thus not attract the potential developers, as a result.
>>If move it to Incubator and add link to the project directly
>>from the top page of jakarta (as I've done a few days ago) properly,
>>many folks might be attracted as a whole.
>>Then, when the community in Incubator will have grown up enough,
>>come back to commons and separate the dev list (like httpclient).
>>
>>It might be one of the possibilities, Tim.
>>(But, maybe you have to consider the re-creation of the whole site
>>of math, because Incubator folks do like the forrest ;-)
>>
>>The fact "most of the code contributions have been driven by
>>non-committers" showed the possibities these described above.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Hello Tetsuya,