Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by souravm <SO...@infosys.com> on 2008/12/01 01:32:05 UTC

What are the scenarios when a new Searcher is created ?

Hi All,

Say I have started a new Solr server instance using the start.jar in java command. Now for this Solr server instance when all a new Searcher would be created ?

I am aware of following scenarios -

1. When the instance is started for autowarming a new Searcher is created. But not sure whether this searcher will continue to be alive or will die after the autowarming is over.
2. When I do the first search in this server instance through select, a new searcher would be created and then onwards the same searcher would be used for all select to this instance. Even if I run multiple search request concurrently I see that the same Searcher is used to service  those requests.
3. When I try to add an index to this instance through update statement a new searcher is created.

Please let me know if there are any other situation when a new Searcher is created.

Regards,
Sourav

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: What are the scenarios when a new Searcher is created ?

Posted by "Aleksander M. Stensby" <al...@integrasco.no>.
When adding documents to solr, the searcher will not be replaced, but once
you do a commit, (dependening on settings) a new searcher will be opened
and warmed up while the old searcher will still be open and used when
searching. Once the new searcher has finished its warmup procedure, the
old searcher will be replaced with the new warmed searcher, which will now
allow you to search the newest documents added to the index.

- Aleks

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 01:32:05 +0100, souravm <SO...@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Say I have started a new Solr server instance using the start.jar in
> java command. Now for this Solr server instance when all a new Searcher
> would be created ?
>
> I am aware of following scenarios -
>
> 1. When the instance is started for autowarming a new Searcher is
> created. But not sure whether this searcher will continue to be alive or
> will die after the autowarming is over.
> 2. When I do the first search in this server instance through select, a
> new searcher would be created and then onwards the same searcher would
> be used for all select to this instance. Even if I run multiple search
> request concurrently I see that the same Searcher is used to service
> those requests.
> 3. When I try to add an index to this instance through update statement
> a new searcher is created.
>
> Please let me know if there are any other situation when a new Searcher
> is created.
>
> Regards,
> Sourav

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further,
> you are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any
> other person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should
> carry out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys
> reserves the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on
> the
> Infosys e-mail system.

Aleksander M. Stensby
Senior software developer