Posted to commits@pig.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/01/14 01:43:27 UTC

[Pig Wiki] Update of "PigJournal" by AlanGates

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Pig Wiki" for change notification.

The "PigJournal" page has been changed by AlanGates.
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/PigJournal

New page:
= Pig Journal =
This document is a successor to the ProposedRoadMap.  Rather than simply propose the work going forward for Pig, it also summarizes work done in the past (back
to Pig moving from a research project at Yahoo Labs to being a part of the Yahoo grid team, which was approximately the time Pig was first released to open
source), current work, and proposed future work.  Note that proposed future work is exactly that, __proposed__.  There is no guarantee that it will be done, and the
project is still open to input on whether and when such work should be done.

== Completed Work ==
The following table contains a list of features that have been completed, as of Pig 0.6

|| Feature                                              || Available in Release || Comments ||
|| Describe Schema                                      || 0.1                  || ||
|| Explain Plan                                         || 0.1                  || ||
|| Add log4j to Pig Latin                               || 0.1                  || ||
|| Parameterized Queries                                || 0.1                  || ||
|| Streaming                                            || 0.1                  || ||
|| Documentation                                        || 0.2                  || Docs are never really done of course, but Pig now has a setup document, tutorial, Pig Latin users and reference guides, a cookbook, a UDF writers guide, and API javadocs. ||
|| Early error detection and failure                    || 0.2                  || When this was originally added to the !ProposedRoadMap it referred to being able to do type checking and other basic semantic checks. ||
|| Remove automatic string encoding                     || 0.2                  || ||
|| Add ORDER BY DESC                                    || 0.2                  || ||
|| Add LIMIT                                            || 0.2                  || ||
|| Add support for NULL values                          || 0.2                  || ||
|| Types beyond String                                  || 0.2                  || ||
|| Multiquery support                                   || 0.3                  || ||
|| Add skewed join                                      || 0.4                  || ||
|| Add merge join                                       || 0.4                  || ||
|| Support Hadoop 0.20                                  || 0.5                  || ||
|| Improved Sampling                                    || 0.6                  || There is still room for improvement for order by sampling ||
|| Change bags to spill after reaching fixed size       || 0.6                  || Also created bag backed by Hadoop iterator for single UDF cases ||
|| Add Accumulator interface for UDFs                   || 0.6                  || ||
|| Switch local mode to Hadoop local mode               || 0.6                  || ||
|| Outer join for default, fragment-replicate, skewed   || 0.6                  || ||
|| Make configuration available to UDFs                 || 0.6                  || ||

== Work in Progress ==
This covers work that is currently being done.  For each entry the main JIRA for the work is referenced.

|| Feature                                                  || JIRA                                                       || Comments ||
|| Metadata                                                 || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-823|PIG-823]]   || ||
|| Query Optimizer                                          || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1178|PIG-1178]] || ||
|| Load Store Redesign                                      || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-966|PIG-966]]   || ||
|| Add SQL Support                                          || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-824|PIG-824]]   || ||
|| Change Pig internal representation of charrarry to Text  || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1017|PIG-1017]] || Patch ready, unclear when to commit to minimize disruption to users and destabilization to code base. ||
|| Integration with Zebra                                   || [[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-833|PIG-833]]   || ||

== Proposed Future Work ==
Work that the Pig project proposes to do in the future is further broken into three categories:
 1. Work that we are agreed needs to be done, and also the approach to the work is generally agreed upon, but we have not gotten to it yet
 2. Work that we are agreed needs to be done, but the approach is not yet clear or there is not general agreement as to which approach is best
 3. Experimental, which includes features that may not yet be agreed upon or where we do not know if they will be beneficial or not

For each of these proposed features, a brief description is given plus the following information:
 * Category - what type of feature is this; categories include:
   * Performance
   * Usability
   * Integration with other Hadoop Subprojects
   * New Functionality
   * Development - that is proposed features that will be of interest to development but may not make noticeable changes for users
 * Dependencies - any other feature or proposed feature that this depends on
 * References - any relevant JIRAs, wiki pages, white papers, etc.
 * Estimated Development Effort - a __guess__ at how long this will take, with the following three categories:
   * small - less than 1 person month
   * medium - 1-3 person months
   * large - more than 3 person months

Within each subsection order is alphabetical and does not imply priority.

=== Agreed Work, Agreed Approach ===
==== Boolean Type ====
Boolean is currently supported internally as a type in Pig, but it is not exposed to users.  Data cannot be of type boolean, nor can UDFs (other than
!FilterFuncs) return boolean.  Users have repeatedly requested that boolean be made a full type.

'''Category:'''  New Functionality

'''Dependency:'''  Will affect all !LoadCasters, as they will have to provide byteToBoolean methods.