Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by John Ruiz <jr...@psu.edu> on 2003/04/30 22:54:26 UTC

Problem authenticating with Apache James

Hello,

I am running Apache's James Server 2.1.2, Tomcat 4.1.18, and Mailer 1.1
on WindowsXP Pro.

I will show you the code I use below, but let me give you a description
of the problem first.  When I use the mailer taglib to send email to
local email addresses, James sends the email perfectly because
authentication isn't required for local email delivery.  I do, however,
require authentication for non-local email addresses.  This is where I
have problems.

In James's log files, I can see a session starting.  However, the email
gets rejected with the following message:

29/04/03 00:01:24 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: RCPT
TO:<no...@someplace.com>
29/04/03 00:01:24 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 530 Authentication Required
29/04/03 00:01:24 ERROR smtpserver: Rejected message - authentication is
required for mail request

However, I AM trying to authenticate, as per my code shown here:

<log:info category="join.jsp?action=request">
  Will now send email to <c:out value="${param.em}" />.
</log:info>
<mt:mail session="java:comp/env/mail/Session"
         authenticate="true" user="my_user"
         password="my_pass">

  <mt:setrecipient type="to">
    <c:out value="${param.em}" />
  </mt:setrecipient>

  <mt:addrecipient type="bcc">
    jruiz@johnruiz.com
  </mt:addrecipient>

  <mt:from>
    webmaster@johnruiz.com
  </mt:from>

  <mt:subject>
    JohnRuiz.com Account Confirmation
  </mt:subject>

  <mt:message>
    [Message Snipped]
  </mt:message>

  <mt:send>
    <log:error category="join.jsp?action=request" message="Couldn't send
an email - nested exception follows." />
    <mt:error id="err">
      <log:error category="join.jsp?action=request">
        <jsp:getProperty name="err" property="error"/>
      </log:error>
    </mt:error>
  </mt:send>

</mt:mail>
<log:info category="join.jsp?action=request">
  Email to <c:out value="${param.em}" /> was sent.
</log:info>

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do in order make sure I am
authenticating with James before sending my email?

Thanks so much,
John Ruiz
Senior @ Pennsylvania State University
Vice President, IST Student Government