Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2004/12/13 16:10:36 UTC

[fulcrum] RFC for contributing two services ....

Hi folks,

I want to contribute two services for now which can be found at
http://84.113.204.124/download/

+) fulcrum-resourcemanager
(http://84.113.204.124/download/fulcrum/resourcemanager/target/docs/)
+) fulcrum-groovy
(http://84.113.204.124/download/fulcrum/groovy/target/docs/)

1) Ad Fulcrum ResourceManager Service
==================================
I need a way to decouple the Groovy service from the persistence
mechanism. This should provide two basic features

1.1) location transparency since the scripts could be stored in a DB as
well. Therefore the service
exposes CRUD functionality

1.2) the locator allows to search for a named resource up the directory
tree. I use this pattern heavily for my work to add
customization based on a context to look up a resource.

I also have a fulcrum-dom4jxslt-service to be contributed which depends
on the ResourceManager as well.

As Eric Pugh pointed out there is an overlap with Turbine and
commons-configuration ... any opinions out there?!

2) Ad Fulcrum Groovy Service
==================================

Allows invoking Groovy scripts and provides access to the Avalon
infrastructure.

3) Ad "urn:avalon.temp"
==================================

Yes - it is a standard Avalon value. Ceck out
http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonContextSurvey and
http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonStandards - I'm definitely adding
urn:avalon:name.

I use "urn:avalon:temp" to dump the stuff which blows up my logfile such
as the result of a XSL transformation. As a filename I user
<servicename>_state.extension, e.g
DOM4JXSLTService_input.xsl and DOM4JXSLTService_result.xml. In my
opinion a single temp directory for all apps is fine since I use the
temp directory of Java as default.

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: Eric - you could still look if the things integrate nicely with
Fulcrum  ... :-)