Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Richard Cao <ri...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/12/08 20:03:17 UTC

Re: indirect linking and anchors

Would it be appropriate for me to open a "new feature" request on JIRA for
this?

Thanks,

Richard Cao

             Richard
             Cao/Toronto/IBM@I
             BMCA                                                       To
                                       forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
             11/10/2003 10:30                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: indirect linking and anchors
             Please respond to
                forrest-dev

David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> wrote on 11/08/2003 04:57:38 AM:

> Richard Cao wrote:
> >
> > I was trying out anchors with indirect linking; that is, <link
> > href="site:somepage#someanchor">. That currently fails with an "invalid
> > xpath" error since "somepage#someanchor" is not a valid qname. Is this
> > bug or is this simply not supported?
>
> I am not sure which.
>
> Anyway, there is a way to achieve what you want. See Forrest's
> own src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml for some examples
> which explicitly define the anchors that you need.

I looked at the site.xml, and I gather you were referring to anchors
declared as followed:

   <linking label="Menus and Linking" href="linking.html">
      <menu_generation href="#menu_generation"/>
    </linking>

While this does work, I don't think it's very practical since I need to
declare my anchors twice. This makes maintenance very difficult.

> It would be nice if "undefined" relative href anchors did work.

I agree. If Forrest is working as it is supposed to, I think this feature
should be added. I would think that this would be common usage.

> --David

Thanks,

Richard Cao

Re: indirect linking and anchors

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Richard Cao wrote:

  > Would it be appropriate for me to open a "new feature" request on
JIRA for
> this?

Yup, thanks (please check that there is not one there already)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -