Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/29 21:03:25 UTC

[VOTE] Change to Tapestry Version Numbering and Release Processes

Tapestry versioning structure as currently implemented in problematic
for several reasons:
1. We vote and release non-final artifacts, which goes against the
established model set by the board.
2. We have a proliferation of version numbers, which complicates the
creation of builds, as well as tracking in JIRA.
3. Strictly numeric version numbers require a separate lookup in
documentation to establish stability (alpha, beta, release candidate,
final).

The latter has been seen recently with people thinking that version
5.3.0 is a final build, rather than a very early alpha build.

This proposal would simplify the version numbering scheme and link it
properly to the release numbering scheme, while preserving efforts to
ensure that releases are available to a wide audience before
being voted as stable and distributed.

Tapestry version numbers for stable releases will henceforth match
Tapestry release numbers.  A release number consists of a product
number (5) and a index number (for example, 3) separated by a dot.  At
the time of this writing, the stable release number is "5.2" and the
development release number is "5.3".

A bug fix release replaces a stable release, adding an index number to
the release number. Thus the first bug fix release of Tapestry 5.3
will be Tapestry 5.3.1, followed by 5.3.2, etc. (as necessary).

Only final, stable releases will be made widely available (via the
Apache downloads page, or via the central Maven repository).

Intermediate artifacts represent previews of the eventual stable
release.  The version number for such a preview is of the form
"<release-number>-<stability>-<index>", where the release number is as
described above, the stability is one of "alpha", "beta" or "rc", and
the index number indicates the order within the stability. The index
number starts at 1.

"alpha" versions are not stable; the represent functionality in flux;
classes and methods may be renamed or otherwise refactored between
releases.

"beta" versions occur once main functionality is complete; they exist
to fix bugs in both old and new functionality, and fill any gaps in
functionality.

"rc" versions are "release candidates"; the functionality should be
solid; the point of a release candidate is to get wide exposure to the
new codebase to ensure that the final release is free of bugs.

A preview release may be created at any time. A tag is created in
Subversion to label the exact source from which the preview release
is generated.  The preview release is built and uploaded to the Apache
Nexus. Once uploaded, the master version number (in trunk) should be advanced to
the next index number within the same stability series (example:
"5.3-alpha-2" to "5.3-alpha-3").

The Apache Nexus URL for the preview release may
be distributed on the Tapestry user mailing list. However, preview
releases are deleted, not released. This is important ... preview
releases are never released to the Maven Central repository, only
final releases are distributed via Maven Central.

A stability vote may follow a preview release. This is
to vote the code base up to the next level of stability (to "beta",
then "rc", then "stable"). This a lazy consensus vote.

Once a version has been voted "stable", a  release may be built and uploaded to
the Apache Nexus. A stable release also includes additional non-Maven
artifacts containing the project's source code, and additional
artifacts containing JavaDoc or other reports. The other artifacts are
distributed
via the Apache Mirrors.

The vote for a  release is a binding vote, requiring at least 3
+1 votes and no vetoes, as outlined in

Following a successful release vote, the final release artifacts in
the Apache Nexus repository may be released to the Maven Central
repository, and the additional artifacts moved into place for download
from the Apache distribution mirrors.  This is also the point at which
the Tapestry wiki is updated to announce the new release (and provide
proper links to it), as well as announcements on the Tapestry user
mailing list and elsewhere.

Bug fix releases are follow-ons to stable releases.  Bug fix versions
automatically start at stability "rc", reflecting the fact that only
localized bug fixes are expected to be included in such a release.
Once all desired bug fixes are in place, a stability vote (to "stable")
is followed by a release vote.

This change affects Tapestry 5.3 and up. As part of this change,
@since and @deprecated tags in Java source will be modified to indicate
the release number ("5.3") not the version number ("5.3.0"). In
addition, the existing 5.3.x
JIRA versions will be collapsed down to a single 5.3 version, which is
to say that
JIRA versions will now match Tapestry release numbers.

Vote to last three days, and require three binding +1s and no binding vetoes.

Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1 (binding)

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [VOTE] Change to Tapestry Version Numbering and Release Processes

Posted by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@gmail.com>.
Richard Lewis-Shell: +1 (binding)

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Robert

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Vote to last three days, and require three binding +1s and no binding vetoes.
>
> Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1 (binding)

Massimo Lusetti: -0 (non-binding)

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Change to Tapestry Version Numbering and Release Processes

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com>.
Andreas Andreou: +0 (binding)

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
Josh Canfield: +1 (non-binding)

Re: [SUCCESS] Change to Tapestry Version Numbering and Release Processes

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I thought I had sent an email but apparently I didn't. For what it's worth
that late, I'm also +1.

Uli

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo: +1 (binding)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor