Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> on 2019/05/11 21:47:31 UTC

Re: dynamic param values for user-mapping.xml

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:09 AM Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Also note that I'd like the hostname to be dynamic too as I have a script
>> that checks several things in order to determine which RDP server a user
>> should connect to (eg. checks ressource usage on every server, checks
>> whether a previously connected user session was inadvertantly cut off,
>> etc., and finally outputs the name or IP address of the RDP server).
>>

> This would more difficult to do, and would probably be the right place for
> a custom authentication extension that does these checks and keeps track of
> things for you.  A script would work with the user-mapping.xml file, but,
> again, that would lack authentication integration with any of the other
> modules, so I think that would probably be less helpful than writing an
> extension.

This is essentially what we've done at my day job to provide a live demo.
We don't use user-mapping.xml, but we store a partially variable set of
connection parameters within a static JSON file and leverage custom
parameter tokens to define the variable portions, such as the IP address of
the machine chosen to fulfill the connection request and the username
assigned to the connection. The selection of machine is driven by sampling
system load, similar to what Vieri is describing.

It does require writing an extension but is definitely doable.

- Mike