Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vagelis Papadogiannakis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/03 15:53:00 UTC

[users@httpd] quite tricky, I need some serious help here.

Ok, after a long night, I finally did the stupid thing...

I accidentally destroyed all the vhost configuration files from the
vhost.ddirectory.
This directory contained separete .conf files which described every vhost of
the system

I dont have any backups (this is what I was trying to do when I accidentally
truncated them to empty files).

The apache is running now, but I cannot stop it / restart it / add or edit
the config

I allready tried at the /proc/{PID} of apache but found nothing usefull.

Any Ideas, are more than welcome, actually u will save me if you can find a
way around this. I will be your slave forever.
As you may have noticed, I am desparate.

suse 10 64 bit,
Apache 2.0.54

Vagelis Papadogiannakis

Re: [users@httpd] quite tricky, I need some serious help here.

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.
It was thus said that the Great Vagelis Papadogiannakis once stated:
> Actually, my dear friend using the core file, vi, and perltook me no more
> than 15 minutes to restore each and every one virtualhost (count: 123, some
> of them with more than 1 subdomain)

  Well, I did say for next time.

> about mod_info now, I am not really sure if it could help me out with this
> one..
> On every vhost.conf file, there were a lot of directives about php, python,
> ruby, safe modes, auth sections, password files etc etc etc...

  Same on my server, and while the information is a bit spread out, it's all
there:

	[ snip ]

          <Directory /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/htdocs/people/spc/inv/xxxx.net>
            AuthUserFile /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/users
            AuthGroupFile /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/groups
          </Directory>

	[ snip --- different module ]

          <Directory /http/spc/sites/www.conman.org/htdocs/people/spc/inv/xxxx.net>
            Options Indexes
            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "XXXX Invoices"
            Require group xxxx
          </Directory>

(lots snipped actually).  It even displays the configuration of my custom
Apache module:

   Module Name: mod_litbook.c

   Content handlers: litbook-handler

   Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config

   Request Phase Participation: none

   Module Directives:
          LitbookDir - Specifies base location of book contents
          LitbookTranslation - Specifies the location of book/chapter titles and abbreviations
          LitbookIndex - The URL for the main indexpage for this book
          LitbookTLD - Same value as the Location directive (see docs)
          LitbookTitle - Set the title of pages output by this module

   Current Configuration:

   conf/httpd.conf
          <Location /kj/>
            LitbookDir /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/bible
            LitbookTranslation /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/thebooks
            LitbookIndex http://literature.conman.org/bible/
            LitbookTLD /kj/
            LitbookTitle "The Electric King James"
          </Location>

  Granted, it helps to know how the original configuration file was
constructed, but I think it would be better (or easier for some people) than
searching through a core file 8-)

  -spc (It also gives a good indication of which modules handle what ... )

Re: [users@httpd] quite tricky, I need some serious help here.

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@elanor.org>.
Lech Karol Pawłaszek a écrit :
> On Friday 04 August 2006 15:36, Vagelis Papadogiannakis wrote:
> [...]
>> Many many thanks to Laurent Blume.
>> He is absolutelly my hero.
> [...]
>
> Buy him a beer and praise his name forever. ;-)
>
> Kind regards,

That'll be a Corona for me please! ;-)

Just kidding, I was only lucky to be reading this list that day because
of my DAV issues...

Laurent

Re: [users@httpd] quite tricky, I need some serious help here.

Posted by Lech Karol Pawłaszek <ik...@kni.univ.szczecin.pl>.
On Friday 04 August 2006 15:36, Vagelis Papadogiannakis wrote:
[...]
> Many many thanks to Laurent Blume.
> He is absolutelly my hero.
[...]

--
Lech Karol Pawłaszek <ike>
"You will never see me fall from grace..." [KoRn]

Re: [users@httpd] quite tricky, I need some serious help here.

Posted by Vagelis Papadogiannakis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Actually, my dear friend using the core file, vi, and perltook me no more
than 15 minutes to restore each and every one virtualhost (count: 123, some
of them with more than 1 subdomain)

It was quite easy.

about mod_info now, I am not really sure if it could help me out with this
one..
On every vhost.conf file, there were a lot of directives about php, python,
ruby, safe modes, auth sections, password files etc etc etc...

Many many thanks to Laurent Blume.
He is absolutelly my hero.

V.

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.

Posted by Vagelis Papadogiannakis <pa...@gmail.com>.
thanks everybody

just for the history, i did a

gdb httpd2 PID
and on the (gdb) prompt i did a gcore.

I got a file named core.PID
and examining it right now, I think I am in a good path

Thanks everybody.
Without you, and especially Laurent blume I would be completely lost...

Now i am in... kind of a dark pathm, but there is a path.

Thanks again, I really apreciate it.

Posted by "Neil A. Hillard" <ne...@agustawestland.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Vagelis Papadogiannakis <pa...@gmail.com>.
the closest i can find to gcore is this post:

http://lists.ssc.com/pipermail/linux-list/1999-May/001466.html

but this is all... I know nothing about gdb, how it works and if it could be
usefull for me.

on Fedora Core 3, there is a gcore utility which belongs to package
gdb-6.1post-1.20040607.43

I installed the gdb and gdb-debuginfo from my suse distro, and the only
thing close to gcore is a gcore.c in package gdb-debuginfo-6.3-20.
I dont know if this would be usefull or how to build it.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really apreciate it!

Vagelis Papadogiannakis

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@elanor.org>.