Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Aviem Zur <av...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/22 14:31:18 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Hi all,

I wanted to start a discussion about actions we can take to encourage more
contributions to the project.

A few points I've been thinking of:

1. Have people unassign themselves from issues they're not actively working
on.
2. Have the community engage more in triage, improving tickets descriptions
and raising concerns.
3. Clean house - apply (2) to currently open issues (over 800). Perhaps
some can be closed.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Re: [DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Posted by tarush grover <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I can take few things. I have planned to contribute towards beam SQL DSL
but members can assign more things and will be happy to contribute towards
those tasks.

Regards,
Tarush

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephen,

Yes, it is a good answer, the doc "Authoring I/O Transforms - Overview"
(https://beam.apache.org/documentation/io/authoring-overview/) is
exactly what I had in mind.

IMHO, writing this kind of docs (beam contributor oriented) for all the
key concepts, and stored at one only (searchable, easy access) place
would be awsome!

Etienne

Le 25/04/2017 � 02:54, Stephen Sisk a �crit :

Posted by Stephen Sisk <si...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sourabh Bajaj <so...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@gmail.com>.
You're right Kenn, discussing the "table of contents" is a good start.

WDYT about having this table of contents audience and code package
oriented? something like

1. SDK writers

     1.1 Core components

         1.1.1 Transforms

         1.1.2 Metrics

     1.2 IO components

2. Runner writers

     1.1 Direct Runner

     1.2 Flink Runner

     1.3 Spark Runner

Etienne

Le 24/04/2017 � 19:06, Kenneth Knowles a �crit :

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ne...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Same also for Slack, github comments, etc.
>
> From a Apache perspective, it should happen on the mailing list,
> eventually referencing a central wiki/faq/whatever.
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 04/24/2017 06:23 PM, Mingmin Xu wrote:
>
>> many design documents are mixed in maillist, jira comments, it would be a
>> big help to put them in a centralized list. Also I would expect more
>> wiki/blogs to provide in-depth analysis, like the translation from
>> pipeline
>> to runner specified topology, window/trigger implementation. Without these
>> knowledge, it's hard to touch the core concepts.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Got it. By experience on other Apache projects, it's really hard to
>>> maintain ;)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>>

>>> On 04/24/2017 02:56 PM, Etienne Chauchot wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi JB,

>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Neelesh S. Salian

Re: [DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Same also for Slack, github comments, etc.

 From a Apache perspective, it should happen on the mailing list, eventually

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----
Mingmin

Re: [DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Etienne,

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Ankur Chauhan <an...@malloc64.com>.

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Isma�l,

Honestly, for 4, I think it's not so bad and we clearly improved in the past
months. It's definitely an area where we have to keep improving, but I think we
do a good job (especially comparing to other projects).

For 5, agree. For example, I limit myself to 3 or 4 pull requests: that's why I
have more than 10 local branches waiting.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSSION] Encouraging more contributions

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
+1 Great idea Aviem, thanks for bringing this subject to the mailing list.

I agree in particular with the freeing JIRA part, I think we shouldn’t
keep assigned JIRAs that are things that we don’t expect to solve in
[...]

The ‘good news’ is that we have 350 unassigned unresolved issues that
anyone can take this is a good improvement but I agree that we can do
better.

Ismaël

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,