Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by "John Kaputin (gmail)" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/29 14:57:33 UTC

Re: [VOTE][Axis2] Axis2 1.3 release plan

We are planning a Woden M8 release for end of July to complete the W3C spec
compliance for WSDL 2.0 assertions. WSDL 2.0 has just become a W3C
Recommendation.

I expect M8 development to complete by 20th July, with maybe 1 week of
release mgt after that. Might be able to bring M8 forward a bit for Axis2
1.3, possibly with reduced scope, but not to July 6th.

Here are 2 options for including Woden in Axis 1.3:

1) stick with Woden M7a which was released 23rd April, subject to testing it
with the new Axiom and XmlSchema releases. M7a complies with the W3C spec
for valid WSDL 2.0 documents except for 1 problem which was fixed after M7a
was released - if an interface has a 'style default' attribute and an
interface operation has no 'style' attribute, the default value should
appear in the {style} property of the InterfaceOperation component. This is
not happending in M7a, but has been fixed for M8.  Depending on the uptake
on WSDL 2.0 amongst Axis2 users and level of WSDL2 support in Axis2, this
may or may not be a problem for Axis 1.3.

2) publish a new milestone release early for Axis 1.3 which includes this
fix, but note:
- the Axiom and XmlSchema releases must happen first, so we can then build a
Woden release for the Incubator PMC to vote on.
- I can only commit about 50% of my time to Woden during July and my main
concern is completing WSDL 2.0 assertions and validation, so if any
woden-devs want to vote for an early milestone release, before the planned
M8 release, could they also consider volunteering to do the release mgt.

As per previous posts to this thread about the time required for an Axis2
release and the RC1 suggestions, our planned M8 may well be in time anyway
for the Axis 1.3 release. Please think about this - I don't want to put in
extra effort on an early milestone release, only to find Axis 1.3 being
release late July / early August when M8 is due anyway.

regards,
John Kaputin.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/07, John Kaputin (gmail) <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are planning a Woden M8 release for end of July to complete the W3C
> spec compliance for WSDL 2.0 assertions. WSDL 2.0 has just become a W3C
> Recommendation.
>
> I expect M8 development to complete by 20th July, with maybe 1 week of
> release mgt after that. Might be able to bring M8 forward a bit for Axis2
> 1.3, possibly with reduced scope, but not to July 6th.
>
> Here are 2 options for including Woden in Axis 1.3:
>
> 1) stick with Woden M7a which was released 23rd April, subject to testing
> it with the new Axiom and XmlSchema releases. M7a complies with the W3C spec
> for valid WSDL 2.0 documents except for 1 problem which was fixed after
> M7a was released - if an interface has a 'style default' attribute and an
> interface operation has no 'style' attribute, the default value should
> appear in the {style} property of the InterfaceOperation component. This is
> not happending in M7a, but has been fixed for M8.  Depending on the uptake
> on WSDL 2.0 amongst Axis2 users and level of WSDL2 support in Axis2, this
> may or may not be a problem for Axis 1.3.

Sorry for the late response. This looks to be a better bet to me.  We have
downgraded the woden version to M7a. Once the Axis2 RC is cut will run the
messageTest that we had for the WSDL 2.0 interop to test WSDL 2 support in
Axis2.

Keith Chapman
WSO2 Inc.
Oxygen for Web Services Developers.
http://wso2.org/

Re: [VOTE][Axis2] Axis2 1.3 release plan

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the release... But please make sure we go through the RC's as usual..

Thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  -  http://www.wso2.com - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE][Axis2] Axis2 1.3 release plan

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.