Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org> on 2011/03/01 12:10:43 UTC

Re: Release by module - proposal?

Hi,

I like option 2. I would also suggest we have a courser grained
distribution model. I do not see a need to release proxy and quiesce
distributions. I think it would be useful to release blueprint,
application and jndi distributions though that pulled in dependencies.
So a blueprint distribution would contain blueprint + proxy + util,
and jndi would be jndi + proxy + util, and so on. This would make it
easier for people to get "something that works" than it is today, but
it doesn't result in lots and lots of distributions. I do not think we
need a distribution per module.

Alasdair

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: Release by module - proposal?

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.
On 01/03/2011 12:43, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
> On 1 March 2011 11:36, Guillaume Nodet<gn...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm really lost.  I thought you absolutely wanted a per-bundle release
>> cycle and now you're advocating a single release with everything
>> inside.  Could you please clarify ?
>>
> I'm not advocating a single release. I'm advocating having less
> distributions than Zoe's
> proposal requires. Zoe's proposal says we have a distribution per
> current module and I am
> suggesting we want less than that. A distribution that will give you
> everything you need for
> blueprint, a distribution with everything you need for applications etc.
I think I agree. So, I suggest that we'd do release by bundles, but have
the following 'distributions'

- blueprint (includes all of the aries-* jars that blueprint needs)
- application-runtime (includes all of the aries-* jars required for a
non-isolating runtime)
- application-runtime-isolated (includes all of the aries-* jars
required for a isolating runtime)
- samples (a distribution of the samples, including source, in which the
samples assembly projects include a specific set of aries bundles)

This makes more sense to me than including source in a distribution. And
I _think_ it meets the most likely users' requirement of knowing what
bundles the need.

Zoe

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: Release by module - proposal?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
On 1 March 2011 11:27, zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 11:10, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like option 2. I would also suggest we have a courser grained
>> distribution model. I do not see a need to release proxy and quiesce
>> distributions. I think it would be useful to release blueprint,
>> application and jndi distributions though that pulled in dependencies.
>> So a blueprint distribution would contain blueprint + proxy + util,
>> and jndi would be jndi + proxy + util, and so on. This would make it
>> easier for people to get "something that works" than it is today, but
>> it doesn't result in lots and lots of distributions. I do not think we
>> need a distribution per module.
>
> Right - when you say 'distribution' do you mean a collection of bundles that
> we know have been tested together? Or do you want source code in there as
> well?

I don't care about the source code. The source code is available via
the bundle releases. I really
see the distributions as an ease of use for getting our binaries.

> Would you have samples specific to each distribution?

I don't think so.

> Would you include anything other than org.apache.aries*

I don't know, I think it should be up for discussion.

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.