Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/02/23 02:14:00 UTC

Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006

The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.

I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
to take over.

I might still get to participate a bit
depending on hotel net access.

There are notes for the "operator" at
http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html

-David

Re: Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 23-02-2006 a las 12:14 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
>
> I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
> to take over.

I can be operator but like experience have shown my internet connection
is not the most stable one.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
>
> I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
> to take over.
>
> I might still get to participate a bit
> depending on hotel net access.
>
> There are notes for the "operator" at
> http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html

I will almost certainly be available for some of the day, but will not
be able to act as operator (at least I don't think so). My problem is
that my new office still does not have broadband connection (got to get
a radio link put in as no ADSL, but will be super fast when working :-))

I'm guessing that because I cannot be online all day I will not be able
to be operator, is this correct?

Ross

Re: Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 2/22/06, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
>>
>>I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
>>to take over.
>>
>>I might still get to participate a bit
>>depending on hotel net access.
>>
>>There are notes for the "operator" at
>>http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html
>>
>>-David
>

> Assuming I can figure out how, I can operate it also assuming that
> this duty doesn't require much more than turning something on and
> having it run in the background.

Our ever committed project management/documentation team (AKA David) has
written notes for us:

http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html#op

Ross

Re: Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
> >
> > I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
> > to take over.
> >
> > I might still get to participate a bit
> > depending on hotel net access.
> >
> > There are notes for the "operator" at
> > http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html
> >
> > -David
>
> Assuming I can figure out how, I can operate it also assuming that
> this duty doesn't require much more than turning something on and
> having it run in the background.

It is very easy. i was a beginner too.

The operator is just the first person to join
the channel. Doing that creates the channel.
You need to remain connected all day.

Practice beforehand. Connect to irc.freenode.net
invent a channel name like #tim-foo and join it.
You will be the only one there so talk to yourself.

The main thing is to keep a reliable logfile.
Otherwise we cannot do the event. The logger bots
used by Cheche and Diwaker are nice, but not always
available or reliable, so the operator must keep
a logfile.

We also need someone to start the summary in SVN.
Usually that is me.

The other side of things is to coordinate it,
i.e. remind people that it is on.

Anyway, all the instructions that i could think of
are at the abovementioned link.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 2/22/06, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
>
> I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
> to take over.
>
> I might still get to participate a bit
> depending on hotel net access.
>
> There are notes for the "operator" at
> http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html
>
> -David

Assuming I can figure out how, I can operate it also assuming that
this duty doesn't require much more than turning something on and
having it run in the background.
--tim