Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Christian Schneider <cs...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/30 00:40:58 UTC

Idea: Is it useful to have an dedicated AWS S3 Appender?

Hi,
for our ec2 instances (with limited diskspace) we like to have a simple
Appender that ships its logs to s3.
It seems there is no "standard" way of doing this.
There are some ideas, but they doesn't seem completed at the first glance
[0] ... [3]

But before starting a new n-th S3Appender project, I like to ask whether
you think it would be a great idea?

At the most simplest stage we could think of an extension of the
RollingFileAppender.
That Appender is then usable on any machine and in every infrastructure
that has http access to s3

If this is done, maybe it would be useful to have a more ec2 coupled
appender.
That appender could know more about its environment.
With this, it would be possible to let log4j organize the "upload"-path.
E.g.: <bucket>/<instanceId || ipaddress>.
Or Information about the VPC settings, userscripts, ...

What do you think?

Thanks for you feedback,
Christian.

[0] https://github.com/ryanhosp/mldx-log-appenders
[1] http://aws.amazon.com/code/Amazon-S3/4032
[2] http://s3appender.codeplex.com/
[3] https://github.com/dialt0ne/rotate-to-s3

Re: Idea: Is it useful to have an dedicated AWS S3 Appender?

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
You may want to create a Jira ticket that you can attach patch files to
(the mailing list software doesn't like attachments).

Regards,
Remko

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,