Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Goerke, Michael" <Mi...@IUE.it> on 2006/04/19 15:05:32 UTC

Cannot load files from a SMB share into Tomcat 5.5.12

Hi,

I am pretty new to tomcat, and I apologise for possible
misunderstandings.

I am using successfully on a RHEL (2.4.21-40.Elsmp) Linux box Apache
2.0.46, Tomcat 5.5.12 and mod_jk 1.2.15, jdk is 1.5.0_05.

Now I have copied everything onto a Windows share (where users should
deal with their documents), and tried to import the directory tree into
Linux as a read-only share via SAMBA. But although all dirs/files are
world-readable I cannot 'see' them via tomcat. I.e., when requesting
http://myserver/sambashare/Index.html via apache everything loads
properly, but for tomcat http://myserver:8080/sambashare/Index.html I
get a 404 error (requested resource ... is not available).

Could perhaps someone explain why, and/or how to solve it?

TIA,

Michael Goerke

PS: Doing it via NFS (exporting from Windows via SFU and importing into
Linux) works well, but then I cannot set access permissions as desired.
---
Michael Goerke, European University Institute, Computing Service
                Via Boccaccio 121, 50133 Firenze, Italy
                phone: +39 055 4685-531 (voice), 4685-205 (fax)
                email: michael.goerke@iue.it

Re: Cannot load files from a SMB share into Tomcat 5.5.12

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
Not sure of what you are trying accomplish, but here is some info that might
help.

You must have an Apache alias setup in order for you to access
http://localhost/sambashare.  This seems to be the case.

However, when you are trying to do http://localhost:8080/sambashare.  Tomcat
knows nothing about Apache's aliases.  It is expecting a context named
sambashare.  Tomcat knows nothing about "shares" unless you explicitly tell
it.

hth

--
Marc Farrow