Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <je...@iona.com> on 2008/01/04 07:09:51 UTC

split manifest for jdk6 support

Hi,

I work on CXF jdk6 support. My proposal is split
cxf-manifest-incubator.jar into 2 manifest jars, one includes all javax
jars embedded in JDK6, such as jaxws, jaxb, stax, jws, annotation,
etc..., we can call it cxf-specs-manifest.jar. And another one contains
the rest jars.

If users use JDK5, they include both manifest jars in classpath, if use
JDK6, they can only include one manifest. For samples shipped with CXF,
we can define rule in common_build.xml, it get JDK version from OS
environment, and put right manifest jar into classpath.

Do you think it reasonable?

Thanks
Jeff

Re: split manifest for jdk6 support

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Personally, I'm -1 to this as it provides very little value to the user
(IMO) but will create LARGE headaches for us to support it.

The only real benifit to the user is a slightly smaller download.   In
the grand scheme of things, that's minor.

For us, we would need to maintain additional assemblies that are mostly
copies of the originals.   If you add/change something, we'd need to
make sure we update two places.   We also would need to
maintain/generate two different NOTICE files, it doubles the amount of
stuff we need to audit at release time, etc...   Snapshot deploys would
take longer.     I personally thing we just need to make sure the kit
works properly for both jdk1.5 and 1.6.   Maybe add a "setup_jdk16"
script or something that helps.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: split manifest for jdk6 support

Posted by Jeff Zhang <je...@iona.com>.
Hi,

Now we have some solution:
1. Package all jars in the kit, put newer version jars like rhino into
endorsed directory.
2. Ship two kits for both JDK5 and JDK6 as Bo's suggestion.
3. Put jars embedded in JDK6 into one endorsed directory.
Which one is better do you think, and more ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <je...@iona.com>.