Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Alexandr Klimov <my...@yandex.ru> on 2014/01/11 15:33:46 UTC

What is SystemId of an XmlSchema?

Hello all!

Could anybody tell me, what is a SystemId of a XmlSchema? What for is it?

P.S.: I've always thought that any schema is uniquely identified by its namespace.

--
//Best regards
//Alexandr

Re: What is SystemId of an XmlSchema?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Jan 11, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Alexandr Klimov <my...@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Could anybody tell me, what is a SystemId of a XmlSchema? What for is it?

The system ID is generally where the schema was found on that system.   This is important if you have to resolve relative imports/includes as you need to know the location of the parent schema.

Dan

> P.S.: I've always thought that any schema is uniquely identified by its namespace.
>
> --
> //Best regards
> //Alexandr

Daniel Kulp

RE: What is SystemId of an XmlSchema?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Most  webService parsers were weaned off DTDs years ago (THANK GOD!) so the SystemID is a no-op

AXIS_HOME>grep -r SYSTEM *.dtd

AXIS_HOME>find . -name *.dtd

I found woden  DTD org.apache.woden.schema.resolver.XMLSchema.dtd (next to the lamp with listening device)
<!ATTLIST %notation;
      name        %NCName;    #REQUIRED
      id          ID          #IMPLIED
      public      CDATA       #REQUIRED
      system      %URIref;    #IMPLIED
      %notationAttrs;>

to understand the value of SYSTEM attribute in a dtd I will quote wikipedia:
"If, instead, the SYSTEM (attribute) keyword is chosen, only a system identifier must
 be given. It means that the XML parser must locate the DTD in a system
specific fashion, in this case, by means of a URI reference of the DTD
enclosed in double quote marks"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_type_declaration

Viel Gluck!
Martin