Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Joshua Conlin <co...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/21 14:58:43 UTC

Monitoring a Notebook in Spark UI

Hello,

I'm looking for documentation to better understand pyspark/scala notebook
execution in Spark.  I typically see application runtimes that can be very
long, is there always a spark "application" running for a notebook or
zeppelin session?  Those that are not actually being run in zeppelin
typically have very low resource utilization.  Are these applications in
spark tied to the zeppelin user's session?

Also, how can I find out more about hive, pyspark and scala interpreter
concurrency?  How many users/notebooks/paragraphs can execute these
interpreters concurrently and how is this tunable?

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Monitoring a Notebook in Spark UI

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephane,

I mean running spark sql job concurrently via %spark.sql just by
setting zeppelin.spark.concurrentSQL
to be true.

See the details here
http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.9.0-preview1/interpreter/spark.html#sparksql

<st...@orange.com> 于2020年7月22日周三 上午12:21写道:

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

RE: Monitoring a Notebook in Spark UI

Posted by st...@orange.com.
Hi Jeff,

You can also run multiple spark sql jobs concurrently in one spark app

Can you please elaborate on this? What I see (with Zeppelin 0.8) is that with shared interpreter, each job is ran one after one. When going to one interpreter per user, many users can run a job at the same time, but each user can run only one job at one time. How is it possible to run multiple sql jobs concurrently in one spark app?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Regarding how many spark apps, it depends on the interpreter binding mode, you can refer to this document. http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.9.0-preview1/usage/interpreter/interpreter_binding_mode.html

Internally, each spark app run a scala shell to execute scala code and python shell to execute pyspark code.

Regarding the interpreter concurrency,  it depends on how you define interpreter concurrency, you can run each spark app for each user or each note, that depends on the interpreter binding mode I refer above. You can also run multiple spark sql jobs concurrently in one spark app

Joshua Conlin <conlin.joshua@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com> > 于2020年7月21日周二 下午11:00写道:

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards