Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Georgy Bolyuba <bo...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/05 18:58:25 UTC

Same problem: cannot build the trunk

  Hi,

Couple of weeks ago I have got this idea to contribute to the Maven
project. I read these pages:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Developing+Maven+2.1
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-m2-development.html

Tried both with m2e and without it (With m2e I had to figure out
plugins it depends on (like subclipse). I think it would save some
time if these we described on wiki). Same negative result. I am
checking out code from this URL:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/trunk/

The problem I have is related to dependencies resolution. I attached
the file with debug info. Here is the short version:

Path to dependency:
	1) org.apache.maven:apache-maven:jar:3.0-SNAPSHOT
	2) org.sonatype.mercury:mercury-mp3-cli:jar:1.0-alpha-1
	3) org.sonatype.mercury:mercury-mp3-delta:jar:1.0-alpha-1
	4) org.sonatype.mercury:mercury-mp3-api:jar:1.0-alpha-1
	5) org.apache.maven.mercury:mercury-event:jar:1.0.0-alpha-4-SNAPSHOT

  org.apache.maven.mercury:mercury-event:jar:1.0.0-alpha-4-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  apache.snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  mycompany-snapshots (http://dev.mycompany.com/artifactory/all-snapshots),
  Nexus (http://dev.mycompany.com/artifactory/all-releases)

I can fix it by going to my local repository and change pom:

/org/sonatype/mercury/mercury-mp3-api/1.0-alpha-1/mercury-mp3-api-1.0-alpha-1.pom

by adding version:
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven.mercury</groupId>
      <artifactId>mercury-event</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.0-alpha-4</version>
    </dependency>

But this just does not look right. As a result, I am getting
apache-maven-3.0-SNAPSHOT. But I was looking for 2.x (2.1?).

The question is simple: am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I really want to help this project, but I am a little bit surprised by
some things like not been able to build it from the trunk. If anyone
could advice on how to start helping with maven 2.x (should I submit
patches against a tag or branch? should I build it from a tag or
branch?) I would really appreciate that.

Georgy

Re: Same problem: cannot build the trunk

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Georgy Bolyuba wrote:

> But I was looking for 2.x (2.1?).

Development on 2.0.x and 2.1.x happens on branches, see [0] for more
details on their checkout.

> If anyone
> could advice on how to start helping with maven 2.x (should I submit
> patches against a tag or branch? should I build it from a tag or
> branch?)

You should use a branch rather than the lastest tag for creating patches
and private builds for testing. The branches (including trunk) are what
we actively work on and where patches get applied to.

Benjamin

[0] http://maven.apache.org/source-repository.html

RE: Same problem: cannot build the trunk