Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/08/14 12:09:44 UTC

[PRE-VOTE] Release candidate 0.1

I have now incorporated all comments from
- Justin
- Peter
- Daniel, note some of the missing ALv2 headers are valid and have been
explained in a DISCLAIMER file.

I have prepared a new release candidate

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/corinthia/incubator-corinthia_release_0.1.zip

and the signature:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/corinthia/incubator-corinthia_release_0.1.zip.asc

Peter suggested that in order to avoid having multiple votes, we do a
"PRE-VOTE", where you all can wet the candidate and I can make updates
without having to rerun a vote.

For the actual vote we will follow the standard guidelines:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release
"Votes on whether a package is ready to be released use majority approval
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval> -- i.e.,
at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release, and there
must be more positive than negative votes. Releases may not be vetoed."

Timeline:
PRE-VOTE start, Friday 14th August
PPMC VOTE start, Wednesday 19th August
IPMC VOTE start, Monday 23th August
Make release bits (hopefully) 28th August

A couple of remarks to the timeline:

- there has already been several release candidates available starting
August 9th, so there has been plenty of time to test and we now have 4 days.

- PPMC members are welcome to cast their vote in the PRE-VOTE, and I will
transfer it to the actual vote.

- Even though you have cast a vote, you can change it anytime while the
PRE-VOTE and VOTE is open.

Looking forward to announce our first release.
rgds
jan i.

Re: [PRE-VOTE] Release candidate 0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 August 2015 at 20:03, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14 August 2015 at 19:53, Peter Kelly <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I just tried this version and all none of the tests fail. A quick look at
>> some of the files shows they’re now using Windows line endings (\r\n),
>> instead of Unix line endings (\n). The test code doesn’t handle this. It
>> should, but also the files should have remained in Unix line format after
>> they were moved.
>>
> problem exist on master as well, just checked. I will try and find out why.

just controlled my notebook and both  vms with
git config --get core.autocrlf

that report true. And I have not changed git setup on my notebook for a
long time, so I am confused.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 August 2015 at 19:53, Peter Kelly <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I just tried this version and all none of the tests fail. A quick look at
> some of the files shows they’re now using Windows line endings (\r\n),
> instead of Unix line endings (\n). The test code doesn’t handle this. It
> should, but also the files should have remained in Unix line format after
> they were moved.

I will check if it something in my git setup, I have not edited any test
files, so that is not the problem.

> It’s late here and I don’t know any tools off-hand to check for line
> endings, but tomorrow I’ll put together a script to check and make sure
> we’re using Unix line endings in all the test files.

I have one (vi) so I will just load a test file and check.

> Later on I’ll modify the tests to handle \r\n, but I think we should
> standardize on a single line ending; I think git can convert where
> necessary with the right setting?

yes, GIT normally tells me it is converting from CR-LF to only LF.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Peter Kelly <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 August 2015 at 17:48, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> =0 (binding)
>
> I do not give permission for this to be applied automatically to a genuine
> [VOTE].

there is no request for you to vote now, it is an option for those who want
to save mails, as I wrote, so no need
not to give perission.

It is much more interesting, if you found something wrong with the release
candidate, since you have a 0 and not a +1.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
=0 (binding)

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Monday, August 17, 2015, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> So in this pre-vote phase I'll just push
>> trivial changes to master
>>

> And I got it terribly wrong since (as I needed to clone the repository
> different times to get the right origin URL, and I was in a hurry) I forgot
> to remove company attribution for that repository and so my two trivial
> commits show a company e-mail address for the committer that should not be
> there:
>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-corinthia.git;a=commit;h=3484c2bb32bc9357cde63ce1680f2b0811356671
>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-corinthia.git;a=commit;h=54b1bb77c8c5ac1aa1f0978e2a0f87b982a8ff97
>
> The solution would be to run git filter-branch but this is forbidden by
> the policy that Corinthia chose (that command rewrites history), so I guess
> I'll have to live with that and hope this does not cause issues to me. But
> (even though I've now fixed that git clone for future use) you won't see
> direct commits from me before 0.1 is released. If I see anything worth
> reporting I'll surely write to the mailing lists.

I am sorry to hear about your problems, but let me just correct you.
Corinthia did not choose, but was forced to accept that policy. It is
strict ASF policy. We had another example early on, where I added about
50Mb of wrong files, and infra denied restarting the repo.

rgds
jan I

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
jan i wrote:
> I personally do it a little bit different, I have cloned (as opposed to
> fork) our official repo, and then have several local branches

Yes, but I wanted a way to share changes online without messing with our
official repository (I could obviously create a remote branch, but a
"typos" branch would just look stupid!).

> just commit to master :-)

OK, done so. I'll commit trivial fixes to master. I've ported what I had
done.

> Your previous mail suggest, that you already made changes, but it also
> sound as if you expect to make more before we start voting ?

To be precise: I'm not finished but I have no idea if I have time for
everything during pre-vote. So in this pre-vote phase I'll just push
trivial changes to master and I won't be upset if they are not merged to
Release_0.1 or even if they are reverted. They are simply there and you
can, at your own convenience, take a look when you build a new RC.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PRE-VOTE] Release candidate 0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 August 2015 at 09:16, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> my fork at
>> https://github.com/pescetti/incubator-corinthia/commits/Release_0.1
>>

> I realize this is dangerous terminology. "fork" is Github's preferred way
> create a local copy for suggesting patches. So this is NOT a "fork" as in
> "Andrea's personal version of Corinthia", I'm definitely NOT doing that.
> Simply, it is easier for me to use this process rather than studying how
> git is implemented at the ASF. When/If I have something serious to
> contribute to the repository, I'll do it following the proper ASF workflow.

I for one, did read it like you describe and not as a Andrea personal
version.

I personally do it a little bit different, I have cloned (as opposed to
fork) our official repo, and then have several local branches, that makes
it a lot easier to merge. Please remember you do not need to make patches,
just commit to master :-)

I have however no problem if you prefer to make patches, and are happy to
integrate them, just wanted to make sure, that you know you have the karma,
and should
you make a "bad" commit, well that is one reason for using a version
control system (ask Peter, how he handled some of my commits).

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 August 2015 at 09:06, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14/08/2015 jan i wrote:
>
>> Peter suggested that in order to avoid having multiple votes, we do a
>> "PRE-VOTE"
>>

> Smart idea. I will vote on the proper [VOTE] and not here to avoid
> confusion, but I've taken the occasion for taking a look.
>
> If I find any blockers I'll surely report them here, otherwise you can
> find some small cosmetic fixes from the last few days in my fork at
> https://github.com/pescetti/incubator-corinthia/commits/Release_0.1
> that I'll be updating as we go and that are so minor that I won't even
> report them here.
>
> If you integrate them by automatic merge, please make sure that my Apache
> e-mail address (as opposed to my work e-mail address) appears in the logs:
> I believe I have already set everything correctly. Of course patches should
> be applied to master then to Release_0.1, or applied to Release_0.1 for
> convenience and then immediately cherry-picked to master. And of course,
> the current fixes are really so cosmetic that they can simply be ignored
> and nobody will complain.

I will be happy to do so (you have the karma to do so yourself, but I know
you are busy), please tell me when you have finished making changes (I
prefer to take all your changes in a single commit).

Of course cosmetic changes should also be integrated, they might not be
build breakers, but bad wording can confuse people

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding also as IPMC vote)

rgds
jan i

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I assume this has been reviewed:
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh449422(v=vs.85).aspx>.

This appears to be a function that is supported in Kernel32.dll for Windows 8 and later.  (Notice that the older CreateFile is defined for Windows XP and later.)  CreateFile2 only handles Unicode (WSTR) FileName strings, which makes sense if this is intended for use on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP).

Perhaps the appropriate action with this detected platform integration failure is to create a JIRA issue on this and then decide separately whether it is a release blocker or not.  It certainly strikes me as something that needs to be hunted down at some point.
I believe this is consistent with
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html> looking beyond the checklist section (e.g., the Bugs subsection).

 - Dennis

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 August 2015 at 05:07, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 17 Aug 2015, at 12:39 am, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ups
> >
> > Did not say it directly I have committed the changes and made a new zip.
>
> Ok this version looks fine now - I’ve confirmed that the produced .docx
> files can be opened in Word 2008 (mac), 2011 (mac), and 2013 (windows). OS
> X, Linux, and Windows all build successfully. All tests pass on OS X and
> Linux, and valgrind on the latter reports no invalid memory accesses and
> leaks.

super

> One remaining problem - and this may be something to do with the way I’m
> building, not necessarily an error in the code - but on windows after I
> compile, and copy the necessary dlls into the bin directory, I get the
> following error message:
>
> “The procedure entry point CreateFile2 could not be located in the dynamic
> link library KERNEL32.dll”.
>
> Any ideas on what’s causing this? I copied all the .dll files from
> target_bin into bin and ran from there (after extracting your zip file of
> all the pre-built libraries)

I do nearly the same as you:
1) unzip corinthia_winlibs.zip in the build directory
2) run cmake -G
3) generate code with visual studio 12 (2013)
4) copy target_bin (minus Qt) to bin
5) run tests.

I do this on 2 independent windows 8.1 vms without problems.

If you use a different version of visual studio, you might miss the msc
redistributable, other than that, no clue (did not even know there are a
CreateFile2 call).

rgds
jan I.

> Oh and corintthia_winlibs.zip at http://people.apache.org/~jani/ is
> misspelt ;)

corrected

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Ups

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
ZIp file permission solved, it seems windows do not care as much as OS-X.

New version uploaded at dist-dev.

have fun
rgds
jan i.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 14 Aug 15, at 15:23, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 14 August 2015 at 21:20, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> On 15 Aug 2015, at 12:58 am, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>> "wet the candidate"? Is that what you do in Denmark? how do you do it?
>> ;-)
>>
>> It’s an old viking ritual, handed down through the generations. Best left
>> to the masters I think - my laptop’s most recent interaction with liquid
>> was a rather expensive
>
> Screen cleaner is alcohol !!
>
> but agreed alcohol works best inside. The expression "wetting a candidate"
> is actually an old US expression, I think it comes throwing small babies in
> the river, and those that survived got a name (or something like that).

:-) puts a new spin on sink or swim, with those who sink go *way, way* down!

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 15 Aug 2015, at 12:58 am, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1
> "wet the candidate"? Is that what you do in Denmark? how do you do it? ;-)

It’s an old viking ritual, handed down through the generations. Best left to the masters I think - my laptop’s most recent interaction with liquid was a rather expensive one...

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: [PRE-VOTE] Release candidate 0.1