Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mikhail Kruk <me...@cs.brandeis.edu> on 2005/03/09 00:36:26 UTC

mod_jk: download speed problem

apache 2.0.53
tomcat 5.0.29
mod_jk 1.2.8, worker configured to do ajp13
Red Hat ES 3

Going straight to Tomcat or straight to Apache downloads work fast.
Going through mod_jk uploads work fast.
Going through mod_jk downloads go at 70Kb/sec.

Everything tested from localhost, so it's not a network issue.
Similar setup but with apache 1.3 and Red Hat 7.x running the same
application works fast for both uploads and downloads.

I'm stuck and will really appreciate any suggestions!

Re: mod_jk: download speed problem

Posted by Mikhail Kruk <me...@cs.brandeis.edu>.
> workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/tomcat
> workers.java_home=/usr/local/j2sdk
> ps=/
> worker.list=worker1
> worker.worker1.type=ajp13
> worker.worker1.host=localhost
> worker.worker1.port=8009
> #worker.worker1.lbfactor=50
> #worker.worker1.cachesize=10
> #worker.worker1.cache_timeout=600
> #worker.worker1.socket_keepalive=1
> #worker.worker1.reclycle_timeout=300
> ------------- cut -----------
>
> I was playing with the workers.properties file (commenting those lines out
> on the bottom) and managed to get the speed to drop from 70 Kb/sec to
> 40 Kb/sec.  Not sure which of the settings did it though.

Yes, if I uncomment the recycle_timeout setting I get 70Kb/sec, when it is
commented out it drops to 40Kb/sec.
If I set it to something high like 3000 it drops to 40Kb/sec again.
Nice.

Re: mod_jk: download speed problem

Posted by Mikhail Kruk <me...@cs.brandeis.edu>.
> Document Path:          /servlets-examples/test.jpg

And this goes through mod_jk, right?

> Document Length:        1513456 bytes
> This is on WIN32, also localhost.
> I've tried on RH9, SLES8.2 and FreeBSD 4.11 and found no slowdown.
> Can you post your config files?

What did you use to get this nice output?

Here is the relevant part of httpd.conf:

# Load mod_jk module
LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
# Declare the module for <IfModule directive>
#AddModule     mod_jk.c
# Where to find workers.properties
JkWorkersFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/workers.properties
# Where to put jk logs
JkLogFile     /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
# Set the jk log level [debug/error/info]
JkLogLevel    debug
# Select the log format
# JkOptions indicate to send SSL KEY SIZE,
JkOptions     +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
# JkRequestLogFormat set the request format
JkRequestLogFormat     "%w %V %T"
# Send servlet for context /examples to worker named worker1
JkMount  /myapp worker1
JkMount  /myapp/* worker1

--------- cut ----------
Here is workers.properties:

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> No one responded to my previous question, so let me try again.
> Is anyone here running Tomcat 5.0.x + mod_jk + Apache and downloading
> large files through it with normal a throughput?

Server Software:        Apache/2.0.53
Server Hostname:        localhost
Server Port:            8008

Document Path:          /servlets-examples/test.jpg
Document Length:        1513456 bytes

Concurrency Level:      1
Time taken for tests:   9.203125 seconds
Complete requests:      100
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      151370900 bytes
HTML transferred:       151345600 bytes
Time per request:       92.031 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       92.031 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          16062.26 [Kbytes/sec] received

This is on WIN32, also localhost.
I've tried on RH9, SLES8.2 and FreeBSD 4.11 and found no slowdown.
Can you post your config files?

Mladen.

Re: mod_jk: download speed problem

Posted by Mikhail Kruk <me...@cs.brandeis.edu>.