Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michel Bottan <fr...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/21 04:11:18 UTC

Re: are there any good samples / tutorials on making queries & facets ?

Hi Jonathan,

I think this is the best article related to faceted search.

http://www.lucidimagination.com/Community/Hear-from-the-Experts/Articles/Faceted-Search-Solr

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com> wrote:

> i've gone through the official docs a few times, and then found some
> offsite stuff of varying quality regarding how-tos.
>
> can anyone here recommend either howtos/tutorials or sample applications
> that they have found worthwhile ?
>
> specifically i'm looking to do the following:
>
>        - with regular searching, query the system with a single term, and
> have solr search multiple fields - each one having a different weight

In order to search into multiple fields and have a different weight for each
of them, you could use the Dismax requesthandler and boost each field.

- use dismax
- boost weights of each field using bq parameter &bq=foofield:term^0.5
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler#head-6862070cf279d9a09bdab971309135c7aea22fb3

>        - implement faceted browsing
>
> i know this is quite easy to do with solr, i'm just not seeing docs that
> resonate with me yet.
>
> thanks!

Cheers,
Michel

Re: are there any good samples / tutorials on making queries & facets ?

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
Michael & Matt --

Thanks a ton!  Those are exactly what I was looking for!

Re: are there any good samples / tutorials on making queries & facets ?

Posted by Matt Mitchell <go...@gmail.com>.
Yeah the lucid imagination articles are great!

Jonathan, you can also use the dismax query parser and apply boosts using
the qf (query fields) param:

q=my query here&qf=title^0.5 author^0.1

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler#head-af452050ee272a1c88e2ff89dc0012049e69e180

Matt