Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2018/12/07 15:20:01 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Long-term goal of making flink-table Scala-free

Hi,

this is a very nice effort!

There is one thing that we should change, though. In the batch API we have a clear separation between API and runtime, and using the API (depending on flink-batch) does not "expose" the runtime classes that are in flink-runtime. For the streaming API, we made the mistake of letting flink-streaming depend on flink-runtime. This means that depending on flink-streaming pulls in flink-runtime transitively, which enlarges the surface that users see from Flink and (for example) makes it harder to package a user fat jar (we have the excludes/provided, whatnot).

We should avoid this error and have flink-table-api not depend on flink-table-runtime, but the other way round, as we have it for the batch API.

Btw, another project that has gotten this separation very nicely is Beam, where there is an sdk package, that has all the user facing API that people use to create programs  and they see nothing of the runner/runtime specifics. In this project it comes out of necessity, because there can be widely different runners, but we should still strive for this here.

Off topic: we also have to achieve this for the streaming API.

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

I updated FLIP-28 according to the feedback that I received (online and
offline).

The biggest change is that a user now needs to add two dependencies (api
and planner) if a table program should be runnable in an IDE (as
Aljoscha suggested). This allows for a clear separation of API and
planner/runtime. It might even be possible to *not* expose Calcite
through the API and thus have minimal external dependencies.

Furthermore, I renamed `flink-table-spi` back to `flink-table-common`
because `spi` looks too similar to `api` and could cause confusion.
Aljoscha and Stephan both mentioned that `common` would fit better in
our current naming scheme.

I will open a PR for FLIP-28 step 1 shortly and looking forward to feedback.

Thanks,
Timo

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Aljoscha,