Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/13 22:30:48 UTC

Recent additions to POI "Added implementation of Digital Signature support"

Hello All,

I noticed a rather significant change submitted recently:

My concern is not about the functionality - this sounds very much like
something that POI should have.  There are a few issues that come to
mind, however:

 - This is a big chunk of work to submit with no supporting discussion
e.g. a bugzilla entry or dev mail thread
 - There are now 7 new jars that POI depends on to build (my biggest concern)
 - There may be licensing issues (I am not in a position to judge this
properly). The files all contain a comment "Based on the eID Applet
Project code.  Original Copyright (C) 2008-2009 FedICT".  Is there a
new relationship between POI and "eid-applet"?  Could we at least
document somewhere that this code contribution is properly sanctioned?
 - There is a (small) compiler error introduced apparently because the
original code was compiled against JDK 6.

cheers,
Josh

Re: Recent additions to POI "Added implementation of Digital Signature support"

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Josh,

> I noticed a rather significant change submitted recently:

I'm very glad you noticed. Big changes ought to be announced at a
minimum and preferably discussed in advance.

> My concern is not about the functionality - this sounds very much like
> something that POI should have.  There are a few issues that come to
> mind, however:
>
> - This is a big chunk of work to submit with no supporting discussion
> e.g. a bugzilla entry or dev mail thread
> - There are now 7 new jars that POI depends on to build (my biggest
> concern)

I think that we should always vote on adding dependencies. What
dependencies are added?

> - There may be licensing issues (I am not in a position to judge this
> properly). The files all contain a comment "Based on the eID Applet
> Project code.  Original Copyright (C) 2008-2009 FedICT".  Is there a
> new relationship between POI and "eid-applet"?  Could we at least
> document somewhere that this code contribution is properly sanctioned?

The svn comment is: "Added implementation of Digital Signature support
using code initially developed for the eId Applet project <http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/
 > and re-released under Apache License." Since the google page at
that link mentions it is licensed as "evil" LGPL, this could indicate
a deep concern. I think though that link is misleading.

I wonder if the relationship is between Apache XML Security and
FedICT? Where's the proof of the Apache License?

Also, with new dependencies it seems likely that we might need to edit
the Apache POI NOTICE and LICENSE files.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Ugo,

> I'm OK with waiting and discussing a bit. In any case, the README.txt
> has now been modified to read as follows
> <http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/source/browse/trunk/README.txt?spec=svn213&r=213
> >:
>
> "The source code of the eID Applet Project is licensed under GNU
> LGPL v3.0.
> Part of the source code (OOXML signature code) is dual-licensed
> under both
> the GNU LGPL v3.0 and the Apache License v2.0. Only the files with a
> header
> containing both the GNU LGPL v3.0 and Apache License v2.0 license
> texts are
> dual-licensed. The dual-licensing was offered in response to a
> request from
> the Apache POI open source project. All other source code files
> remain under
> control of the GNU LGPL v3.0 license unless otherwise decided in the
> future
> by _ALL_ eID Applet Project copyright holders."

This is a good clarification to a point. I am not sure if it is
sufficient. It makes me wonder who _ALL_ the copyright holders are. I
assume that the files dual licensed are all FedICT's which is Belgium
Federal Government (and EU?)

Here is what is currently in the NOTICE:

> This product contains parts that were originally based on the eID
> Applet project (http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/). Copyright (C)
> 2008-2009 FedICT.

Here is a suggestion:

This product contains an ASLv2 licensed version of the OOXML signer
package from the eID Applet project (http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/source/browse/trunk/README.txt
) Copyright (C) 2008-2009 FedICT.

I think that no matter what phrasing is used we should make sure that
legal@apache approves. I wonder if they will want a CCLA from FedICT.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@sourcesense.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Josh,

This valuable contribution needs to wait for proper clarification of
the dual-license for the feDict OOXML signer piece.

Let's wait to put it back until that is done.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@sourcesense.com>.
On Oct 14, 2009, at 5:02 PM, David Fisher wrote:

> Yes, here it is.
> "This product contains parts that were originally based on the eID
> Applet project (http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/). Copyright (C)
> 2008-2009 FedICT."
> I have a big problem with what I see when I go to that link. Someone
> who is looking at Apache POI  would find the reference to LGPL and
> run away. If we provide a link in the NOTICE then it must go to a
> place that is unambiguous. My preference would be to ask the eID
> Applet project to make the dual licensing issue crystal clear on
> their home page. The alternative would be to link directly to the
> source directory from our NOTICE.

I will ask Frank if it's possible to state the double licensing
clearly in the README. I hope he has no problem with that.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei

Re: Recent additions to POI "Added implementation of Digital Signature support"

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Ugo,

>> - There may be licensing issues (I am not in a position to judge this
>> properly). The files all contain a comment "Based on the eID Applet
>> Project code.  Original Copyright (C) 2008-2009 FedICT".  Is there a
>> new relationship between POI and "eid-applet"?  Could we at least
>> document somewhere that this code contribution is properly
>> sanctioned?
>
> Originally the code was LGPL. I asked the author if it were
> possibile to release it as AL and he agreed. Here is his reply:
>
> From: fcorneli <fr...@gmail.com>
>
> "I've discussed the license issue here at FedICT. We're willing to
> dual-
> license (LGPL/AL) the Java source code files concerning the creation
> and validation of OOXML signatures as found under the eid-applet-
> service-signer artifact. The headers on these Java source files have
> been adopted accordingly."
>
> The original files which have been copied can be found here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/source/browse/trunk/eid-applet-service-signer/src/main/java/be/fedict/eid/applet/service/signer/

Yes, I see the dual licenses in the code. I think the attribution is
proper, but I am not a legal expert.

> I've put an attribution notice in the NOTICE file.

Yes, here it is.
"This product contains parts that were originally based on the eID
Applet project (http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/). Copyright (C)
2008-2009 FedICT."
I have a big problem with what I see when I go to that link. Someone
who is looking at Apache POI  would find the reference to LGPL and run
away. If we provide a link in the NOTICE then it must go to a place
that is unambiguous. My preference would be to ask the eID Applet
project to make the dual licensing issue crystal clear on their home
page. The alternative would be to link directly to the source
directory from our NOTICE.

> Anyway, we can have a discussion and vote on whether we want to keep
> this code or revert it. As you wrote, it should have happened
> beforehand, but it was not my intention to introduce it as a "fait
> accompli". I'll be OK with reverting the change if so we decide.

Let's make dual licensing crystal clear.

As far as the number of dependencies, I'll leave that for you guys
(BTW - Yegor is on vacation and I don't think we'll hear from him for
a few more days.)

Best Regards / Keep Pounding the POI,
Dave

Re: Recent additions to POI "Added implementation of Digital Signature support"

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@sourcesense.com>.
On Oct 13, 2009, at 10:30 PM, Josh Micich wrote:

> - This is a big chunk of work to submit with no supporting discussion
> e.g. a bugzilla entry or dev mail thread

You are right and I apologize for this. I should have waited before
committing, but was eager to end this work and didn't consider all the
implications.

> - There are now 7 new jars that POI depends on to build (my biggest
> concern)

Good point. Let us discuss whether they are needed. I would have liked
to add this code in "contrib" or "scratchpad" but there doesn't seem
to be be an area for contrib-only or scratchpad-only libs. Maybe we
shoud add one?

From: fcorneli <fr...@gmail.com>

"I've discussed the license issue here at FedICT. We're willing to dual-
license (LGPL/AL) the Java source code files concerning the creation
and validation of OOXML signatures as found under the eid-applet-
service-signer artifact. The headers on these Java source files have
been adopted accordingly."

The original files which have been copied can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/eid-applet/source/browse/trunk/eid-applet-service-signer/src/main/java/be/fedict/eid/applet/service/signer/

I've put an attribution notice in the NOTICE file.

> - There is a (small) compiler error introduced apparently because the
> original code was compiled against JDK 6.

Sorry again. I _thought_ I had tested it under JDK 1.5 as well, but
apparently this was before further modifications introduced some
incompatibilities again. It looks like you have already caught and
fixed those, right?