Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daniel A. de Araujo" <da...@itautec-philco.com.br> on 2005/03/18 14:45:25 UTC

Network Tests

Hi guys,

I have the Spam Assassin 2.63 with Amavis installed in my box and now I am
trying to enable network tests with SpamcopURI.
Its working but the delivery of the messages is very slow when network tests
are enabled, so I�d to disable it.

Any ideas to make the deliver of messages faster with network tests enabled
?

Thanks a lot,
Daniel.

Re: Network Tests

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 18, 2005, 8:40:45 AM, Matt Kettler wrote:
> 3) experiment to see which specific network tests are slow by setting
> their score to 0 one at a time.

In particular try setting the score of URIBL_SBL to 0
since its style of SBL lookups is significantly slower than
SURBL lookups, and its FP (false positive rate) is higher.

(URIBL_SBL needs to resolve the NS records of the URI domain
and check them against SBL using another DNS resolution.  That
initial resolution of the wild domain can potentially be quite
slow since it uses various external name servers, potentially
including ones that belong to spammers.)

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Network Tests

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Daniel A. de Araujo wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have the Spam Assassin 2.63 with Amavis installed in my box and now I am
>trying to enable network tests with SpamcopURI.
>Its working but the delivery of the messages is very slow when network tests
>are enabled, so I´d to disable it.
>
>Any ideas to make the deliver of messages faster with network tests enabled
>?

First a warning: DO NOT run SA 2.63 on a production server. Upgrade to
2.64 or 3.x because 2.63 has a mime parsing bug that can be used to DoS
your server.

As for speed:

1) run a caching nameserver on the same box as SA.

2) run a local mirror of some of the RBLs that you can get RSYNC access
to the zonefiles for.

3) experiment to see which specific network tests are slow by setting
their score to 0 one at a time.

4) if you use DCC, run a local server if you've got a high volume of
messages.