Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2009/06/15 23:30:33 UTC

[DOCUMENTATION ERROR] Documenting sponsorship by another PMC

ant elder wrote:

> See:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Approval+of+Pr
oposal+by+Sponsor

There is an uncorrected defect in that process document. It says, in part,
that the sponsoring PMC must provide the Incubator PMC with:

  * a reference to the results of the vote (so as to provide an audit trail
for the records);
  * a reference to the Candidate's proposal;

AND ...

  * the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide the Candidate
through the Incubation Process.
    At least one nominated Mentor MUST be a member of the Apache Software
Foundation.

That third one, while partially correct, is in error.  Mentors are Incubator
PMC Members, and no one can impose Membership on the Incubator PMC.  If the
proposed Mentors are ASF Members, they can (and must -- we won't do it by
implication) request PMC Membership.  If the proposed Mentors are not ASF
Members, they must request a vote, which is may or may not be successful.

	--- Noel

Re: [DOCUMENTATION ERROR] Documenting sponsorship by another PMC

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:30, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:
>
>> See:
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Approval+of+Pr
> oposal+by+Sponsor
>
> There is an uncorrected defect in that process document. It says, in part,
> that the sponsoring PMC must provide the Incubator PMC with:
>
>  * a reference to the results of the vote (so as to provide an audit trail
> for the records);
>  * a reference to the Candidate's proposal;
>
> AND ...
>
>  * the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide the Candidate
> through the Incubation Process.
>    At least one nominated Mentor MUST be a member of the Apache Software
> Foundation.
>
> That third one, while partially correct, is in error.  Mentors are Incubator
> PMC Members, and no one can impose Membership on the Incubator PMC.  If the
> proposed Mentors are ASF Members, they can (and must -- we won't do it by
> implication) request PMC Membership.  If the proposed Mentors are not ASF
> Members, they must request a vote, which is may or may not be successful.

Do you have a patch?

  Bernd