Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yaron Gur-Ari <ya...@mobilitec.com> on 2003/04/30 12:20:33 UTC

Request Dispatcher Forward Session Problems

Hi all,

My application is handling requests from (mobile) browsers that support
cookies and browsers that are not.
Since some of the browsers (which doesn't support cookies) don't "like" the
URL rewriting links
(i.e.
http://127.0.0.1:8080/W/servlet/AdapterServlet;jsessionid=B97F59F89466370EB1
0847655450D80D?start=5),
I'm manipulating the URL to have the session id as a parameter
(i.e.
http://127.0.0.1:8080/W/servlet/AdapterServlet?jsessionid=B97F59F89466370EB1
0847655450D80D&start=5),
and when the request arrives (without a session) I'm constructing a new
relative URL
(/W/servlet/AdapterServlet;jsessionid=B97F59F89466370EB10847655450D80D?start
=5) to forward the request using
the RequesttDispatcher.
After the forwarding is done a new request arrives to my servlet and again
the request.getSession(false) returns NULL.
I tried to use the full URL
(http://127.0.0.1:8080/W/servlet/AdapterServlet;jsessionid=B97F59F89466370EB
10847655450D80D?start=5) and access via Internet Explorer (cookies disabled)
and this time the session object was present !

Did anyone encounter this problem ?
Is there a problem on forwarding with URL rewriting session tracking ?
Any idea on how to solve this ?

(I'm using Tomcat 4.1.18)

Thx,
Yaron Gur-Ari