Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kayla Jay <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/22 22:46:12 UTC

Can you run multiple simultaneous hadoop jobs?

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out why I need to use HOD vs. trying to run multiple jobs at the same time on the same set of resources.  Is it possible to run multiple hadoop jobs at the same time on the same set of input data?  I tried to run different jobs on the same set of data at the same time, but it takes a while (way while) and almost appears as if it queues up and the next job has to wait and so forth before completing.

So, I tried moving onto HOD.  It's not very apparent why one would want to use HOD to run on different nodes at the same time for different jobs that access the same set of input data.

Can anyone provide any feedback on running multiple jobs at the same time on the same set of data?  HOD use?  Why would I have to run HOD and schedule running multiple jobs at the same time on the same set of data, but within their own set of resources in the cluster?

Thanks

Re: Can you run multiple simultaneous hadoop jobs?

Posted by Brice Arnould <br...@vleu.net>.
Ted Dunning a écrit :
> Brice,
>
> Looks like a nice piece of work.  I just spent 20 minutes looking back for
> the old bug HADOOP-2573 only to find that you already knew about that and
> had addressed it.
>
> This could really help people make progress on improving the scheduler and
> that progress would really improve the usability of large clusters with jobs
> that vary a lot in importance and size.
>
> And your English is just fine.  Completely understandable.
Thanks a lot for this very kind mail *^__^*

With Jaideep we are discussing of a way to describe ressources used by
Jobs (Network, LocalStorage, CPU and so on) in order to run more
dissimilar tasks (e.g. data intensive and cpu intensive) on the same
node. We hope to have a concrete proposition by Tuesday. When it will be
ready, I would really like your feedback of whether it would match your
needs or not, and if not what kind of schedulers you would need.

Regards,
Brice

Re: Can you run multiple simultaneous hadoop jobs?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
Brice,

Posted by Brice Arnould <br...@vleu.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
You definitely can run more than one job on a hadoop cluster.  But if one of
the jobs asks to use all of the map or reduce nodes, then the other job will
have to wait for some of the nodes to free up before proceeding.

Try limiting the number of map nodes and see how that changes matters.