Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Linas Žilinskas <li...@host1plus.com> on 2016/05/18 15:09:06 UTC

Additional Subnets for networks and VR dhcp

This is in relation to https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1547
But since it seems that my observations are beyond the scope of it, I'm
posting it here.

I'm having hard time understanding what's going on, but something seems
off.
Like i mentioned in the PR comments, I'm using advanced networking with
security groups, so my setup is different to the PR which is meant for
Simple zones.

My setup consists of initial zone deployment, with defaultGuestNetwork.
Then i created a new guest (through infrastructure) network with
172.40.0.0/24, xx.1 gateway.
Then added additional subnet 172.50.0.0/24, xx.1 gateway.
Created a VM through web ui, which automatically got ip from
172.40.0.0/24
Everything seems fine up to this point.

Now I changed the ip to 172.50.0.xx through web ui. (interesting point -
the gateway doesn't change when IP is assigned from different subnet for
VM)

Restarted VM / deleted VR.
And here's where i don't understand things anymore.
VR got assined an IP alias (original 172.40.0.10, additional
172.40.0.11).

I would guess it would need 172.50.0.xx to serve the additional subnet
(dhcp / metadata)

Some confirmation would be nice if this is the intended behavior and if
a situation like this is not supported / tested. Or is there some bug
somewhere.

PS. I started looking into why the VR (4.8 release) dhcp doesn't serve
additional subnets. Found the above PR and was hoping it solves the
issue. But it seems there might be some problems above the VR as well.

Re: Additional Subnets for networks and VR dhcp

Posted by Linas Žilinskas <li...@host1plus.com>.
woops, please ignore this.