Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/14 15:40:33 UTC

Next steps for Solr Admin UI - request for in-depth discussion

Hello,

The relevant JIRA is SOLR-12196, but we felt this deserved a greater discussion.

Basically, our Admin UI is currently using AngularJS (1.x) as its
Javascript framework. That particular library has reached its
evolutionary end long time ago and is about to stop being supported
all together. The later versions of Angular carry the same name, but
are _very_ _very_ different. So, despite the heroic efforts that got
us here, we are facing this choice again. Also, as we were just trying
to migrate the UI and not rethink it, the underlying design/file
layout/plugin architecture is also quite problematic.

The question is what is the right thing to do next. There are
basically four options:
1) Migrate to the latest Angular in an incremental fashion (as per
JIRA's original proposal)
2) Jump to a different library (such as React or Vue) which got a much
stronger momentum and ecosystem these days, but sort of keep current
architecture (UI feel/approach)
3) Go blue-sky with new library and actually put some deep thought
into modern UI leveraging Solr's current features (Management API,
JSON, etc). Also, by picking React (for example) we get access to the
ecosystem of modern tools, extensions and even potentially mobile
apps.
4) Drop our own UI and adopt somebody else's (I don't have any good
suggestions here though)?

Normally, option 1 would be the sane one. The challenge is two fold though:
a) Even option 1 is a lot of work due the Angular team's radical
change of direction. Enough that it will lock us out from any other
option for at least another 3-4 years.
b) We are all server-side developers. So, even the simple Javascript
things are hard for us, never mind the CSS part. So, this makes the
cost of starting with any new approach dis-proportionally hard. Once
going, it is a bit easier, because the advanced concepts are similar
to other languages.

All of these, combined with all the open JIRAs on Admin issues - to me
- make option 3 less crazy than usual.

What do others think? Is there discontent with the current state of
Admin UI (apart from the implementation choice)? Are there secret web
designers here, willing to get us over a bump of migration? Is there a
company out there, willing to sponsor relevant skills to let us
leapfrog the incremental upgrade (similar to how we got the Reference
Guide).

Regards,
   Alex.

Re: Next steps for Solr Admin UI - request for in-depth discussion

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018, at 6:53 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
> > It really depends on what your goal is: a refreshed UI or getting rid of AngularJS
>
> I think that's an interesting question. Do we _know_ how a refreshed
> UI could be better than what we have now?
> *) Better mobile UI was one suggestion
> *) Reviewing it myself, I feel that there is lack of clarity whether
> some information/operation is Global, Collection-level, Core-level, or
> node-level. E.g. "Dashboard, java properties and thread dumps" are
> actually node level, next to Cloud, Collections and Suggestions that
> are global level. Next to logging, which I am guessing is a node
> level.
> *) Query screen had a number of requests against it, especially in
> regards to newer features
> *) Pluggable UI (e.g. for DIH) was a request and other plugins
> (/browse?) would probably enjoy a hook too (though it did not work out
> with admin-extra.html so much)
>
> Because that's the first question a "UI designer from somewhere" will
> ask, even if we could have an access to one.

It is worth noting the heritage of the current UI. It was a reworking of the old, ugly JSP admin UI in 3.x. It more or less took the same pages and made them (much) more beautiful.

Then the angular one took that and gave it a newer backend. And then collections awareness was added.

Each of these were additive, leading to a little bit of an architectural mess.

So I think you are right - the first step is one of information architecture - how do we present all the details. That could then be presented to a UI designer if we found one. And one might be easier to find if we had the architecture.

Not only that, it might be possible to start building using something like Bootstrap or MaterialUI, and style it later - i.e. just following conventions rather than doing 'design'.

Upayavira

Re: Next steps for Solr Admin UI - request for in-depth discussion

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Jan,

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/15/2018 11:13 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> Upayavira, moving from jQuery to AngularJS took the approach of
> building a clean parallel  code base, with the downside of years of
> maintaining two UIs. Do you see any better approach this time around?

I'm onboard with writing a whole new UI in a more modern framework.  I
would love to help, but I feel that I'm not well qualified, because my
understanding of Javascript and CSS isn't as complete as I think it
needs to be.  I'm not completely useless in those fields, but it takes
me longer to figure out how to do things.

I think we should do a similar switchover -- build a new UI, make it
optional at first.  We could wait for 8.0 to make it primary, or if we
feel it's ready, make it primary in a later 7.x release.  Then we can
remove the old UI in the next major version after the default changes.
As soon as the new UI is made primary, the old UI should have a note on
every page saying that it is no longer maintained and may not work
properly.  I don't think we should ignore bug reports on the old UI, but
they won't need a high priority.

As part of a new UI, I think that we should be careful to duplicate and
extend current *functionality*, but that we should not restrict
ourselves to making it look/feel exactly like the current UI.  If a
redesign would work better, especially on mobile, then we should do that.

The current UI does work a lot better on mobile devices than the
previous UI.  I avoided using my smartphone for even information
gathering because it was terrible.  I don't have a tablet, but I think
that administration with tablets is becoming very common. My smartphone
is in the "phablet" category -- large screen with higher than HD resolution.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Next steps for Solr Admin UI - request for in-depth discussion

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.