Posted to bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stephen Cheng <sc...@creativehq.co.nz> on 2003/09/23 06:31:19 UTC

StackMap Gen

BCEL currently has LineNumberGen, LocalVariableGen, but no StackMapGen. I am
working on a project that requires this functionality. Would anyone know of
a ready made BCEL extension so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel?
Failing that would the project controllers (i.e. Markus et al) be interested
to incorporate the changes if I add this functionality?

Best regards,
Stephen

Re: StackMap Gen

Posted by Mark Crocker <mc...@markcrocker.com>.
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:31:19 +1200, Stephen Cheng wrote:

> BCEL currently has LineNumberGen, LocalVariableGen, but no StackMapGen. I am
> working on a project that requires this functionality. Would anyone know of
> a ready made BCEL extension so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel?
> Failing that would the project controllers (i.e. Markus et al) be interested
> to incorporate the changes if I add this functionality?

I have already created a project called the Purifier1 that does StackMap generation.  See http://www.markcrocker.com/~mcrocker/Computer/Purifier/ for details.

Unfortunately, the project is stalled at the moment due to project funding issues.  The original open source version (mostly) works and is fast, but differs from what SUN's preverifier produces from time to time (about 6% failure rate).  A commercial project was started that is much more accurate, but still has a few cases where it doesn't faithfully reproduce SUN's bugs (we're talking 6 disagreements in over 7200 test cases).

I have other projects that are winding down and if you have a good business case for reviving it, I would love to talk my business partners into finishing this project off.  Since the original contract has defaulted, there may even be a (minute) possibility of doing it as an open source project and feeding the bugs I found in BCEL back to the BCEL community, which would be my choice if other considerations didn't exist.

--
           __
     __   / /\

Re: StackMap Gen