Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/09/15 00:15:53 UTC

Missing release notes

The following issues are marked as needing release notes. However, I
can't find release notes attached to these issues. Could the owners of
these JIRAs help me find the missing release notes? More specifically,
could the owners do something like the following:

1) Toggle-off the "release note needed" box if the JIRA really doesn't
need a release note anymore

2) If the release note has been written, point it out to me.

3) Otherwise, please write a release note.

Here are the note-needing issues:

DERBY-1384
DERBY-1323
DERBY-1314
DERBY-1295
DERBY-1177
DERBY-1130
DERBY-1103
DERBY-928
DERBY-746
DERBY-690
DERBY-178

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Dag!

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for bringing this up. I have toggled off the "release note
needed" flag since I'm already tracking this issue separately and expect
to cull my description from the 10.2 snapshot wiki page. I will go
through the rest of the issues that are flagged as needing release notes
and eliminate the ones which are tracked as features on the wiki page.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Fernanda Pizzorno <Fe...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for summarizing these issues, Knut Anders. More comments follow...

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>>Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>

>>>Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:
>>>

>[....]

>>>There is a proposed release note in one of the comments.
>>>

>>Thanks, Knut Anders. Could you do me a favor and rephrase the release
>>note for DERBY-1314 so that it follows the standard format (Problem,
>>Symptoms, Cause, Solution, Workaround). This will really help me.
>>

>Hi Rick, I have added a release note which follows the standard
>format. I must say that I don't think all of the "behaviour change"
>release notes fit into our standard format.

Thanks!

>For instance, http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteFormat says:
>
>  PROBLEM: a short description of the problem that is being fixed.
>
>  SYMPTOM: a description of the erroneous behavior. How does the user
>  know that they've hit this problem?
>
>Now, if the problem was that the 10.1 implementation was too liberal,
>what is the symptom? That something did not fail? But the release note
>is for 10.2, so the user who reads the release note should rather be
>told which symptoms s/he could see after upgrading to 10.2.
>

>To me it seems like the current format (problem, symptom, cause,
>solution, workaround) is aimed at describing bugs that have been
>fixed, not at describing problems that the user might run into after
>the upgrade. I don't see any field which can be used to describe
>existing application impact, which I thought was the whole point of
>the release notes.

I would put this a little differently. To me the current format seems
focussed on describing defects which have not been fixed and which still
need workarounds. In addition, I'm unclear on the distinction between a
small feature and a big release note. As part of a post-mortem on 10.2,
it would be good to clarify how and when we compile release notes.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Fernanda!

-Rick

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Fernanda Pizzorno <Fe...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Missing release notes

Posted by Deepa Remesh <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/14/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:

> Here are the note-needing issues:
>
> DERBY-1130

Release note is in a comment for the issue:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1130#action_12432244

> DERBY-1103

I'll uncheck the "release note needed" from this issue as this was
included in 10.1.3 release notes.

Thanks,
Deepa