Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Geyer, Thomas L." <GE...@timken.com> on 2002/01/09 16:39:47 UTC

Problem Starting Apache 1.3.22

I am installing Apache 1.3.22 on an AIX 4.3.3 server. When I first start
Apache I get the following error message:
	# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
	Syntax error on line 296 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
	Expected </Directory> but saw </Directory>
	/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Instead of including the complete httpd.conf file, I have included the lines
around line 296 below:

	# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
	# permissions.
	#
	<Directory />
	    Options FollowSymLinks
	    AllowOverride None
	</Directory>

	#
	# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
	# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working
as
	# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
	# below.

I do not see the problem, I have been fighting with this for a month. If
anyone has any ideas on the problem please let me know. The help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thomas L. Geyer
Email:geyer@timken.com
Phone:(330) 471-2073
Fax:(330) 471-4034

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company

Re: Problem Starting Apache 1.3.22

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Owen Boyle wrote:

> "Geyer, Thomas L." wrote:
> >
> > I am installing Apache 1.3.22 on an AIX 4.3.3 server.
> >
> >   Expected </Directory> but saw </Directory>
> >   /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>
> Weird...
>
> <wild-guess>
> could be invisible characters corrupting the file? Try:

No, this is a known bug in that rev of the AIX compiler.
This is in the FAQ, along with a pointer to the fix.
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: Problem Starting Apache 1.3.22

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Geyer, Thomas L." wrote:

> I am installing Apache 1.3.22 on an AIX 4.3.3 server. When I first start
> Apache I get the following error message:
>         # /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
>         Syntax error on line 296 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
>         Expected </Directory> but saw </Directory>
>         /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Weird...

<wild-guess>
could be invisible characters corrupting the file? Try:

$ od -c httpd.conf | more

then work through the file looking for funny escape sequences (was this
file ever on another system, e.g. Windows?)
</wild-guess>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

RE: Problem Starting Apache 1.3.22

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Geyer, Thomas L. [mailto:GEYER@timken.com]

> I am installing Apache 1.3.22 on an AIX 4.3.3 server. When I first start
> Apache I get the following error message:
> 	# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
> 	Syntax error on line 296 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> 	Expected </Directory> but saw </Directory>
> 	/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#aixccbug

Joshua.