Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vadim Kisselmann <v....@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/21 10:51:49 UTC

SolrCloud with Tomcat and external Zookeeper, does it work?

Hello folks,

i read the SolrCloud Wiki and Bruno Dumon's blog entry with his "First
Exploration of SolrCloud".
Examples and a first setup with embedded Jetty and ZK WORKS without problems.

I tried to setup my own configuration with Tomcat and an external
Zookeeper(my Master-ZK), but it doesn't work really.

My setup:
- latest Solr version from trunk
- Tomcat 6
- external ZK
- Target: 1 Server, 1 Tomcat, 1 Solr instance, 2 collections with
different config/schema

What i tried:
------------------
1. After checkout i build solr(ant run-example), it works.
-----------------------
2. I send my config/schema files to external ZK with Jetty:
java -Djetty.port=8080 -Dbootstrap_confdir=/root/solrCloud/conf/
-Dcollection.configName=conf1 -DzkHost=master-zk:2181 -jar start.jar
it works, too.
-------------------------------
3. I create my ("empty, without cores")solr.xml, like Bruno:
http://www.ngdata.com/site/blog/57-ng.html#disqus_thread
4. I started my Tomcat, and get the first error:
in UI: This interface requires that you activate the admin request
handlers, add the following configuration to your solrconfig.xml:
<!-- Admin Handlers - This will register all the standard admin
RequestHandlers. -->
<requestHandler name="/admin/" class="solr.admin.AdminHandlers" />
Admin request Handlers are definitely activated in my solrconfig.

I get this error only with the latest trunk versions, with r1292064
from February not. Sometimes it works with the new version, sometimes
not and i get this error.

----------------------------------
5. Ok , it it works, after few restarts, i changed my JAVA_OPTS for
Tomcat and added this: "-DzkHost=master-zk:2181"
Next Error:
This The web application [/solr2] appears to have started a thread
named [main-SendThread(master-zk:2181)] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.solr.cloud.Overseer$CloudStateUpdater.amILeader(Overseer.java:179)
at org.apache.solr.cloud.Overseer$CloudStateUpdater.run(Overseer.java:104)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
15.03.2012 13:25:17 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already. Could not load org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooTrace. The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1531)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1491)
at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1196)
15.03.2012 13:25:17 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy

6. Ok, we assume, that the first steps works, and i would create new
cores and my 2 collections. My requests with CoreAdminHandler are ok,
my solr.xml looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<solr persistent="true">
  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" zkClientTimeout="10000" hostPort="8080"
hostContext="solr">
    <core
       name="shard1_data"
       collection="col1"
       shard="shard1"
       instanceDir="xxx/" />
 <core
       name="shard2_data"
       collection="col2"
       shard="shard2"
       instanceDir="xx2/" />
  </cores>
</solr>

Now i get the following exception: ".......couldn't find conf name for
collection1..........."
I don't have an collection 1. Why this exception?

---------------------------------------
You can see, there are too many exceptions and eventually
configuration problems with Tomcat and an external ZK.
Has anyone set up an "identical" configuration and does it work?
Does anyone detect mistakes in my configuration steps?

Best regards
Vadim

Re: SolrCloud with Tomcat and external Zookeeper, does it work?

Posted by Vadim Kisselmann <v....@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jerry,
thanks for your response:)
This thread("SolrCloud new...") is new for me, thanks!
How far are you with your setup? Which problems/errors du you have?
Best regards
Vadim

Posted by "jerry.mindek@gmail.com" <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vadim,