Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2017/06/15 00:15:21 UTC

Apache Ignite Persistent Store Description

Igniters,

While we’re getting to know the store that has been donated recently let’s discuss how we can position this feature and how Ignite can be used once it’s enabled.

Here are my thoughts around this:

--------------------------------
Persistent store is a distributed ACID and ANSI-99 SQL compliant disk store that transparently integrates with GridGain as an optional disk layer (SSD, Flash, 3D XPoint). Having the store enabled, you are no longer need to keep all the data in memory or warm RAM up after the whole cluster restart. The persistent store will keep the superset of data and all the SQL indexes on disk making GridGain fully operational from disk.

Relying on this new feature and on advanced SQL capabilities existed before, GridGain can server as a distributed transactional SQL database, both in memory and on disk, while continuing to support all the existing use cases, including the in-memory data grid.
——————————

Any thoughts, suggestions?

—
Denis

Re: Apache Ignite Persistent Store Description

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
That’s right and this is what I tried to convert in this segment "distributed transactional SQL database, both in memory and on disk”.

Overall, this is a fixed version (the previous one was copy-pasted from my drafts I prepared before the donation):

Persistent store is a distributed ACID and SQL-compliant disk store that transparently integrates with Ignite as an optional disk layer (SSD, Flash, 3D XPoint). Having the store enabled, you no longer need to keep all the data in memory or warm RAM up after the whole cluster restart. The persistent store will keep the superset of data and all the SQL indexes on disk making Ignite fully operational from disk.

Relying on this new feature and on advanced SQL capabilities which existed before, Ignite can serve as a distributed transactional SQL database, both in memory and on disk, while continuing to support all the existing use cases, including the in-memory data grid.

—
Denis

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.

--