Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vladimir Lapshin <al...@isc.tsu.ru> on 2003/08/20 11:08:32 UTC

svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure

...Summary...

Re: svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> writes:

> At 12:23 PM -0500 8/20/03, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> >Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> writes:
> >
> >>  At 6:08 PM +0700 8/20/03, Vladimir Lapshin wrote:
> >>  >Is there any way to log non-ascii messages without setting LOCALE into
> >>  >koi8-r codepage(I did try it, but people say it should fix the problem)?
> >>
> >>  Can you use Unicode (or UTF-8), say out of Notepad?
> >
> >Didn't folks see my earlier message about this?
>
> Yeah, I saw your message.  But it may be that adding a switch is more
> trouble than simply doing the job right in the first place.
>
> Help Stamp Out Codepages!

Of course, whatever Vladmir ends up doing to make the commit go
through... well, there's a potentially equal amount of trouble when he
runs 'svn log' later on.  The svn client will have a UTF-8 log message
to display, and it will try to convert it from UTF8->C, which will
choke on the Russian characters.  This is what you get when you want
to write and read Russian characters, but keep your locale in "C".

Re: svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.

--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure

Posted by Vladimir Lapshin <al...@isc.tsu.ru>.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:23:57PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> writes:
>
> > At 6:08 PM +0700 8/20/03, Vladimir Lapshin wrote:
> > >Is there any way to log non-ascii messages without setting LOCALE into
> > >koi8-r codepage(I did try it, but people say it should fix the problem)?
> >
> > Can you use Unicode (or UTF-8), say out of Notepad?
Jack, I never tryed. Btw, Notepad, afair, windows-specific application.
But my systems run FreeBSD.
> Didn't folks see my earlier message about this?
>
> 'svn commit --encoding FOO' should make svn try to do a FOO->UTF8
> conversion on the commit log message.  That's why we added that
> switch.
Ben, 'svn commit --encoding koi8-r' don't work with LOCALE C.
With russian locale all log messages in Russian/English languages are
fine.
I think 'svn commit --encoding XXX' would work with with LOCALE C,
but XXX must be LANG or CHARSET or something from russian locale.
I'll check after...

Re: svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Vladimir Lapshin <al...@isc.tsu.ru> writes:

> ...Summary...
> From: Vladimir Lapshin <al...@isc.tsu.ru>
> Subject: svn commit[updated mail]: russian chars in log forces commit failure
> To: users@tigris.org
> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:53:35 +0700
>
> Good at #svn people told me to edit ~/.subversion/config to solve my problem.
> So now the config includes 'log-encoding = koi8-r'
> but the exactly error message appears when I trying to import/commit.
> Note: LOCAL set to "C", and I don't like to set it to koi8-r or
> something else, cuz I like to see all messages from applications in english.
>
> Is there any way to log non-ascii messages without setting LOCALE into
> koi8-r codepage(I did try it, but people say it should fix the problem)?

If your locale in "C", but you want to commit a log message written
using locale 'koi8-r', try running 'svn commit --encoding koi8-r'.