Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "N.s.Karthik" <ns...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/25 04:30:50 UTC

IWA username using JSP for Already authenticated Window system

Hi

spec : O/s Linux -Oracle
            Jdk =1.6
            Tomcat  = 7.0.30
            Browsers = IE8 Only

         * Pre authenticated Windows Clients via Active directory *
          Would use Integrated Window Authentication settings for Browsers

Question :  Since All the Systems are pre authenticated in Window domain via
Active Directory during bootup process, and On request of a URL of web
application ( Tomcat7 served from linux) need to pass the username of the
system ?

Can some body help me for the solutions .....

with regards karthik

Re: IWA username using JSP for Already authenticated Window system

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:47 AM, N.s.Karthik wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thx for the Quick Reply
>
>>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html
>
> I have already tried this and found the same to Work only on Windows Environment

Tried what specifically?  There are several suggestions for making this work at the above link.

> but my Tomcat servers are on  Oracle Linux Systems...
>
> Will this configurations work with "Tomcat 7.0.30 on Linux"  with Clients
> using IE8 from Windows ???

Again, you are going to need to be more specific on what configuration you are referring to.

Dan

Posted by Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>.

>> One thing to watch for is that the client must use Kerberos and not
>> NTLM (it's a guess but it seems logical) .
>

> Sorry to burst in, but can you elaborate on that ?
> Why does it seem logical ?  To my own (admittedly limited) knowledge,
> Kerberos is not the most widely implemented solution in Windows networks,
> NTLMv2 is.  Does the SPNEGO implementation in Tomcat not work with NTLMv2
> then ?

Only on a linux box.
In my mind, NTLM being a Microsoft protocol, the chance of it working
on a linux box was small.

That is what I observed. When the tomcat on my linux was configured
with the SPNEGO valve, at first my browser was talking NTLM
(apparently, you can see that when the first reponse to the negotiate
challenge begins with NTRLM...), and I got an error in tomcat log
saying can't validate client ticket.

Once i declared the box in the active directory dns, my browser
stopped using NTLM for Kerberos and everything works as expected.

It should be apparent I'm really not an expert on that, so all that is
just some guesses. I'm still studying all that.

Re: IWA username using JSP for Already authenticated Window system

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/25 N.s.Karthik <ns...@gmail.com>:
> Hi

Hello

Posted by "N.s.Karthik" <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Mar 24, 2013, at 11:30 PM, N.s.Karthik wrote:

> Hi
>
> spec : O/s Linux -Oracle
>            Jdk =1.6
>            Tomcat  = 7.0.30
>            Browsers = IE8 Only
>
>         * Pre authenticated Windows Clients via Active directory *
>          Would use Integrated Window Authentication settings for Browsers
>

> Question :  Since All the Systems are pre authenticated in Window domain via
> Active Directory during bootup process, and On request of a URL of web
> application ( Tomcat7 served from linux) need to pass the username of the
> system ?

Have you read...