Posted to rampart-dev@ws.apache.org by Alan Sunley <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/31 03:20:24 UTC

Enforcing transport level encryption

Greetings,

Is there a way to enforce transport level encryption with Rampart? I'm
experimenting with Policy example 01 using the TransportBinding and
HttpsToken assertions but I'm noticing that the soap messages are not
being encrypted when capturing them with TCPMon.

There was a similar post several months ago, without a specific
answer: http://www.mail-archive.com/rampart-dev@ws.apache.org/msg00379.html

Can I assume this is an error with the configuration and is not
expected behavior?

Regards,
Alan.

Re: Enforcing transport level encryption

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan,
 We thought it is good to check what transport is used when Transport
binding
is used with Https Token. There is JIRA issue for this.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAMPART-113

Would it simply be a matter of examining the endpoint string to see if
> it defines the https protocol?

IFAIK, checking the transport protocol used should simply work.

Regards,
Nandana

Posted by Alan Sunley <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Just as a quick follow-up question - this isn't strictly related to
Rampart, but I hope the security gurus here will be able to offer some
input -  since Rampart doesn't enforce transport-level security, what
is a good way of enforcing transport-level security in the
application?

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Allan,

Posted by Alan Sunley <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nandana,

It's using http. Is there no way enforce https, that is not to send
the message at all if no https protocol is used? I can run a service
over https without specifying a HttpsToken in the policy so I'm
puzzled why there is a HttpsToken example with Rampart.

I have a situation where the client needs to connect to multiple
implementations of the same service wsdl. I won't have control over
these services but I need to ensure the confidentiality of certain
messages sent to these services. I'm trying to determine what the best
strategy is, whether to use transport level or message level security,
while keeping it as simple as possible - I don't want the client or
service sides to have to manage many keys/certificates.

By the way, thanks for your reply to my other question today.

Regards,
Alan.

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
HI Alan,