Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ni...@wipro.com on 2005/07/27 15:40:37 UTC

Instantiating an Application Scoped Bean

Hi,

I need some help on the following scenario:

As soon as I start my tomcat server, I need to populate an
application-scoped bean which will have values from the database.
Thereafter I should be able to access the bean across all JSP pages
using the <jsp:useBean "..." ...scope="application"/> tag.

It'll be great if you guys can tell me how to initialize this bean at
server startup. Any specific web.xml entry to be recorded to map to the
servlet which does the DB operation?

Thanks!

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin@wipro.com immediately

Re: Instantiating an Application Scoped Bean

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.
One possible solution would be :

U create a servlet which loads on startup.
While defining servlets in web.xml set the load on startup attribute
for some servlet and that servlet will be loaded/executed
automatically by container at startup
U can write ur code for loading and populating the bean in that
servlet and u can store that bean in ServletContext object (if iam not
wrong) sothat u can acces it else where

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>LoadingServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>LoadingServlet</servlet-class>
        <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

regards
Srikanth

Posted by Arup Vidyerthy <li...@yahoo.co.uk>.
You need to do something like this:

  <servlet>
      <servlet-name>ApplicationStartup</servlet-name>
      <display-name>StartUp Servlet</display-name>
      <servlet-class>a.startup.ApplicationStartup</servlet-class>
      <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>ApplicationStartup</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/startup</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

This tells tomcat to run that servlet when Tomcat first intialises the
context. You can put all your initialisation stuff there I guess.

Regards...
Arup Vidyerthy

I need some help on the following scenario:

As soon as I start my tomcat server, I need to populate an
application-scoped bean which will have values from the database.
Thereafter I should be able to access the bean across all JSP pages using
the <jsp:useBean "..." ...scope="application"/> tag.

It'll be great if you guys can tell me how to initialize this bean at server
startup. Any specific web.xml entry to be recorded to map to the servlet
which does the DB operation?

Thanks!

Confidentiality Notice
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin@wipro.com
immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.