Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by thanos <at...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/07 13:05:46 UTC

Re: Simple servlet with xml output - to tapestry

Turns out the patch is too big to apply.
Fernando, is it possible to share a build with the patch applied? I am sure
other people will have the save need and would surely appreciated it

thanks
Thanos

Fernando Padilla wrote:

> Yes you can output XML directly from the template with some caveats.
>
> 1) By default the contentType is "text/html", if you want to change that
> you can override it by using this annotation on your page class file:
> @Meta("tapestry.response-content-type=text/xml")
>
> 2) namespaces are totally ignored and stripped out.
>
> 3) if you use any of the special html elements, then it uses the old
> html method of not actually closing the tags ( <br>,  , etc ).  So
> essentially it outputs invalid xml.  You might have to do some post
> processing to clean it up..
>

> possible work around:
>
> If you need namespaces, or if you need to avoid the "special html tag"
> handling, you need to look at JIRA issue TAPESTRY-1600.  Go there and
> vote on the bug, it also has a patch if you're stuck and feeling
> adventurous.  I have been using the patch for over a month on
> production, and have gotten response from another person that they are
> pretty happy with it.
>
> Go vote for it, for some reason we have gotten zero response from the T5
> developers on reviewing the patch.  If applying the patch is too much
> for you and there is still interest, maybe I'll have to maintain a
> tapestry build with the patch applied..
>

> llonely wrote:
>> Many thanks Thiago,
>> this is surprisingly helpful!
>>
>> Is XML output possible on template level? Having a template with the
>> basic
>> structure and update it based on parameter values.
>>
>> BR
>>

>> Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo-2 wrote:

>>> Generate the XML output using any method you fancy and then return a
>>> StreamResponse (in this case, a TextStreamResponse) in your onActivate
>>> method. Tapestry 5 will not issue a redirect as it does with normal