Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com> on 2006/01/26 23:16:09 UTC

When is the next release?

Does anybody have an idea about when the next release of Ant is due? I'm
having some trouble getting 1.6.5 to work as I'm getting an error:
Could not create task or type of type: scriptdef.

Ant could not find the task or a class this task relies upon.

I get this even after copying the bsf.jar and bsh-2.0b1.jar into
$ANT_HOME/lib. I've verified that the lib folder has ant-apache-bsf.jar in it
as well. I built my Ant-1.6.5 distro from source and while it built I did
notice some warnings that I did not pay attention to. Maybe that has
something to do with it? I'm about to leave for the day so I'll have to look
more tomorrow. Has anybody else experienced a similar issue?

RE: When is the next release?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

Simply put - Ant does not have a framework for effective management of 3rd.
Party plugins - a.k.a. Ant imposes extra steps.  The missing ingredient is a
standalone 'ant-plugin' that includes the declaration of version
dependencies when loading a extension (i.e. it's not sufficient to depend on
developers with free time available - what you need is a complete dynamic
antlib deployment solution).  There are external antlibs (fully ASL 2.0
compatible) that address and fully resolve this issue, however - a solution
needs to come from the Ant community as a part of a 1.7 release (IMVHO).

Cheers, Steve.

Re: When is the next release?

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
So what you all are saying is that without all of the 3rd party jars the best
I can get out of the ant source distro is an incomplete build? I checked and
that is right, the optional task jars are all empty. I also looked around for
a fetch.xml and could not find one. That is somewhat discouraging as I was
hoping for something that would just work without having to do extra steps. I
think that I'll just grab the binary distro for now. I'm also giving up hope
(temporarily) for antunit as I heard it is incompatible with the latest
release and that I needed a svn build. If I can't build the release version
I'm sure not going to try my luck with a svn build. Thanx.

Clifton C. Craig, Software Engineer
Intelligent Computer Systems -  A Division of GBG
ccc@icsaward.com
ccraig@gbg.com

Re: When is the next release?

Posted by "Alexey N. Solofnenko" <a....@mdl.com>.
There is fetch.xml build file that downloads some needed jars of the
web. Please try running it first.

- Alexey.

Re: When is the next release?

Posted by "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

--- Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have an idea about when the next
> release of Ant is due? I'm
> having some trouble getting 1.6.5 to work as I'm
> getting an error:
> Could not create task or type of type: scriptdef.
>
> Ant could not find the task or a class this task
> relies upon.
>
> I get this even after copying the bsf.jar and
> bsh-2.0b1.jar into
> $ANT_HOME/lib. I've verified that the lib folder has
> ant-apache-bsf.jar in it
> as well. I built my Ant-1.6.5 distro from source and
> while it built I did
> notice some warnings that I did not pay attention
> to. Maybe that has
> something to do with it?
Yes, it has. When compiling Ant from source you have
to provide the third party jars in order for the
optional tasks to work. In short, the optional tasks
are not compiled and their corresponding jars are
empty, containing only MANIFEST file, if the external
jars they rely on, are not present.

Regards
Ivan