Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com> on 2016/05/25 18:02:53 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling (Speller) API can be implemented

Hello Alexey,

DEH>> Please provide more information about the Common Spelling API

Tried  to  google  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/262605) and
found out that it's called Common Spell_er_ API and MS Office 2000 was
the  _first_  MS  Office to implement it (sorry for that mistake). But
since  MS  uses it there are many chances that there are many programs
using it.

DEH>> and where its specification can be found.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/262605    :    "To   facilitate
development  of a new engine and lexicon, Microsoft has made the CSAPI
specification   available.".   "Developers   who   are  interested  in
implementing a CSAPI spell check engine and lexicon, or only an add-in
lexicon, can contact Microsoft Developer Support.".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/234322 :
"Microsoft Office Developer Support Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=supportcontent.asp?ID=FH;EN-US;ofd
Microsoft Developer Network
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ "

"Developers  who want to add spell checking to their custom application
can  contact  one  of  the  following  vendors to obtain a spell check
engine and development license:
Wintertree Software Sentry and WSpell Spelling Checkers
http://wintertree-software.com

ComponentOne VSSPELL (formerly VideoSoft VSSPELL)
http://www.componentone.com/

BeCubed AZSpell (formerly HighSpell)
http://www.becubed.com "

The three links don't seem to be much of use.

AZ> No  information on that. Of course MS must have them but it's unlikely
AZ> they would help their competitor.

They seem to make the specification publicly available.

DEH>> Finally, is the API one that many providers offer

AZ> Since it's MS's API its unlikely somebody else uses it.

There  seem  to  be  companies  that  provide their own spell checking
engines.

--
Best regards,
Alexey Zhuravliov                            mailto:alexzhyr@voliacable.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling (Speller) API can be implemented

Posted by Alexey Zhuravliov <al...@voliacable.com>.
Hello All,

DEH>>> and where its specification can be found.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15418955/how-to-implement-a-spell-checker-for-microsoft-office
:      "There      is      a      sample      source     code     here
(http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1140/Using-the-Microsoft-Common-Spell-API)
on  how  to implement a DLL which provides the spell checking service,
and a PDF document describing the CSAPI.

It is not that easy to obtain Microsoft's documentation (...) you have
to      submit     a     proposal     of     your     project     here
(https://members.microsoft.com/omc/welcome.aspx) or contact someone at
Microsoft  Ireland (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/default.aspx) (they
are  the  people  in  charge of the development and maintenance of the
spell  checking  API),  if  it  is  approved  they  will  send you the
documentation needed.

I  should  clarify that the CSAPI only provides the means to develop a
spell checker for single words and only using VS C++ (No C# or VB), if
you  want  to  develop a Grammar Checker o a Thesaurus you have to ask
for other APIs".