Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sachin Narale <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2004/10/12 13:04:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Forbidden , You don't have permission to access / on this server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

>From: "Sachin" <sa...@registermydomain.com>
>To: <li...@linuxsa.org.au>
>CC: <sa...@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Forbidden , You don't have permission to access / on this
>server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
>use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:18:07 +0530
>
>Hi,
>
>I have a strange situation here with apache-2.0.43; I am starting to get
>the 403 Forbidden error, when I try to access my page.
>
>My server was running apache.
>

>When I try to access my webpage, I get:
>

>   Forbidden
>
>You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
>Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
>an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
>permission of all directories are normal. So, I suspect, I should have
>messed with some other configuration file to deny the said access
>

>I appreciate, should any one on the list provides me some pointer on this.
below is my httpd.conf file

--- VirtualHost: If you want to maintain multiple domains/hostnames on your
# machine you can setup VirtualHost containers for them. Most configurations
# use only name-based virtual hosts so the server doesn't need to worry
about
# IP addresses. This is indicated by the asterisks in the directives below.
#
# Please see the documentation at
# <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/>
# for further details before you try to setup virtual hosts.
#
# You may use the command line option '-S' to verify your virtual host
# configuration.

#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#

# Ensure that Apache listens on port 80

#Listen 80

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName e-adz.co.uk
#ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /root/eadz/
</VirtualHost>

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
  Order Deny,Allow
</Files>

<Directory /root/eadz/>
  Order Deny,Allow
  #Allow from
</Directory>

Alias /logs /usr/local/apache/logs/
Setenv VLOG /backup/apache/logs/
CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/advxsplitlogfile" vhost env=VLOG

>Thanks,
>Sachin.

Still single? Meet the perfect match.
http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Join
BharatMatrimony.com for FREE

Re: [users@httpd] Forbidden , You don't have permission to access / on this server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Sachin Narale wrote:
>I have a strange situation here with apache-2.0.43; I am starting
> to get the 403 Forbidden error, when I try to access my page.

Check what the error log says.

> DocumentRoot /root/eadz/

That is a *really* strange place for a doc root.

> <Files ~ "^\.ht">
>   Order Deny,Allow
> </Files>

Eh? Why do you want everyone to be able to access your .htaccess files etc?
Change that to "Order Allow,Deny". See documentation for the Order
directive:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_access.html#order

> <Directory /root/eadz/>
>  Order Deny,Allow
>  #Allow from
> </Directory>

Ok, you have configured so that anyone should be able to access your doc
root. However, does the Apache user have permissions to read the files in
that directory? I guess not, as unless you messed around with permissions,
only root should have access to the /root directory, and you should not run
Apache as root.

Regards,
Robert Andersson