Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/23 09:08:58 UTC

Legal Requirements for using Apache JIRA to track iCLAs

The current CLA submission process is described here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#cla-registration

I'd like to make a suggestion that emails be sent to people to submitting
iCLAs so that they have idea of the status of their submission. I'd suggest
sending emails when an iCLA has been received, when it has been acknowledged
and finally when it has been registered.

This would improve the process and avoid emails in the podling mailing lists
asking about the status of individual iCLA submissions.

I've just submitted an iCLA via email and I have no way to check its status
besides looking at the Committers' page (
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html) on a daily basis.

In a discussion on the general@incubator.apache.org, list Robert Burrell
Donkin suggested using Jira to keep track of the submissions.

I'd like to know about the legal requirements of using JIRA in this way. My
idea would be to scan in the faxed and mailed iCLAs, create a JIRA item and
mail the link to submitter. Of course, scanning in the documents would
require more effort but in the long term would probably lead to more
effeciency and faster turn-arounds.

D.

Re: Legal Requirements for using Apache JIRA to track iCLAs

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23/04/2009, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >> I'd like to make a suggestion that emails be sent to people to submitting
>  >> iCLAs so that they have idea of the status of their submission. I'd suggest
>  >> sending emails when an iCLA has been received, when it has been acknowledged
>  >> and finally when it has been registered.
>  >
>  > I think this is largely a 'lack of resources' situation. I have seen
>  > the secretary being experimenting with more automated processes, and
>  > if that materializes I would guess that mail notifications would come
>  > out of it.
>

> At the moment, we have paid staff which handles this.  What we will be
>  experimenting with, over the course of the next month, is whether this
>  can be better (or even adequately) handled by volunteers.  Depending
>  on the outcome of that experiment, we may revert to the previous
>  approach, transform radically the definition of the task, or continue
>  entirely with volunteers.  (Note: the previous list of options is
>  decidedly *not* ordered).
>
>  What's being automated at the moment is a very modest part of this:
>  detaching attachments as they are being received (either from eFax or
>  email) and committing them to a "received" area of our private SVN.
>
>  At that point, all officers of the foundation will have access to this

s/all officers/all officers and members/ ?

>  data, and the task for any one document is very straightforward:
>  moving the document itself to the appropriate entry and enter a single
>  line in a simple text file.  That data includes an email address.  It
>  is possible that PMC chairs will be interested in helping out here,
>  out of enlightened self interest.

The PMC chair is also more likely to be able to decipher hard-to-read
entries, as they should already know the person's correct name and
e-mail address. In extremis, I guess that they could even ask for a
replacement ICLA to be sent.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
This might actually be a very good start. Those submitting iCLAs primarily
want to know that they have been received and are being processed.

D.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23/04/2009, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I'd like to make a suggestion that emails be sent to people to submitting
>  > iCLAs so that they have idea of the status of their submission. I'd suggest
>  > sending emails when an iCLA has been received, when it has been acknowledged
>  > and finally when it has been registered.
>

> I think this is largely a 'lack of resources' situation. I have seen
>  the secretary being experimenting with more automated processes, and
>  if that materializes I would guess that mail notifications would come
>  out of it. At the moment, there seems to be a huge backlog of
>  digitizing the previous paper copies, and that also adds to the
>  overall burden I would assume.
>
>  Regarding 'scan to JIRA' suggestion; Fyi, the ASF nowadays accepts
>  digitally signed (if verifiable) CLAs sent in by mail. Not many people
>  choose this option, typically due to lacking signing certificates.
>  I am not sure what you are suggesting. Is the CLA submitter going to
>  scan, or is the Secretary going to publish the scans to Jira? The
>  latter sounds like an additional overhead. Solutions that are not
>  automated are generally not considered, and suggested automation of
>  procedure should come with the tools needed to make it happen for
>  instance success.
>
>  Your Mentors have access to the files where the CLAs get registered.
>  The name of the submitter is in the filename, so someone could
>  actually create a cron job to publish those over, for instance, and
>  RSS/Atom feed. Care to do the work?

Note that the ICLA files are added to SVN which generates a message to
the "foundation-cvs" mailing list, and an entry is made in the
iclas.txt file which generates a message to the "board-cvs" mailing
list. Both of these are available to members.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23/04/2009, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I don't know many iCLAs are submitted on a daily / weekly basis, the
> ratio of iCLAs submitted via email vs. fax vs paper or the effort needed to
> automate the process, it is tough for me to estimate whether automation of
> the process would be worthwhile or when the "ROI" would be.
>
> For those already submitting their scanned iCLAs via email (as I did), I'm
> assuming that it wouldn't make a difference in effort if I submitted via
> JIRA or email.

I think it might at present, as JIRA is probably an unfamiliar tool to
the current assistant secretary. Also it may be harder to automate
extraction of attachments.

If using JIRA, this would need to be set up so that the attachments
were not publicly visible, as ICLAs contain personal information.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.