Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Keerthiraja SJ <sj...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/08 07:43:10 UTC

Any Plan on developing the cloudstack on this

Hi All,

Since the DR structure is not ready yet in the CS 4.5.x is there any plan
to on Zone to Zone VM Migration this will really help us to make the DR
implementation or region to region migration for both xenserver and kvm.

Thanks,
Keerthi

Re: Any Plan on developing the cloudstack on this

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
HI Keerthi,

It seems you want this in cloudstack.
So how does a feature gets into the code ?

Someone needs to write it, and since Apache is a volunteer open source organization there is no funding assigned for code development. The CloudStack project as such does not have a budget.

Moreover since we are all volunteers (even though some of us are paid to work on cloudstack), we cannot assign issues to each other or tell someone - hey got write that feature-.

If you really want this, you can:

1-Create a feature spec on the wiki
2- Check JIRA for similar issues and enter a new JIRA ticket if there is not one already
3-Code it yourself and submit a patch
4-Ask some folks at Shapeblue, CloudOps, or on sites like freelancer to do it for you.

As far as I know the video you saw was a demo of a proprietary solution from citrix. That probably means that a citrix customer asked and paid for that feature and they worked on it. Now if there was a way to get that feature in CloudStack, we would need to go through some hoops on intellectual property clearance and then we would have an unmaintained feature because the developer who did that has moved on.

All that said, and I am not a DR expert. One of the premise of cloud is on-demand elastic provisioning. You should have configuration management recipes to deploy your entire application stack. That stack should be agnostic of cloud providers, be it your private or public clouds. And you should have a scheme in place to switch endpoint for your apps in a heartbeat with some kind of data replication (cassandra, riakā€¦)

So to recap, pragmatic steps:

1-Create a wiki page (you need an account and then I can give you edit privileges) and write the feature spec:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/
2- Create a JIRA ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK
3-Edit the roadmap with that wish: