Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Olav Benum <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/17 15:09:11 UTC

Some getting started questions.

Greetings!

These are a kind of beginners question ... not on
Xerces-C but on if I should use Xerces-C, and
about XML,  XML Schema and the XML / C++ combination.

This is an application that uses text-files in a
proprietary format to store information, this format
and supporting logic should be converted to XML,
some of the files should be manipulated as DOM.
The code should be cross-platform C++ (Windows Mac
OS/X).  My own environment is Visual C++ 7.1

Myself I know some XML, but not much  about Schema and
DOM.

My plan is to use XML-Spy to write Schemas and XML,
and use the code generation for Xerxes-C.

*Is this a good choice?  What would be the main
 alternatives?

Instead of XML-Spy I might use what comes with VS,
also we might use some Qt in the project, but
I think it (the Qt XML libraries) are more low-end
than Xerxes-C..........

*Should I read up on / know about  other technologies
 than DOM and Schema?

*For learning, should I just start to work with Xerxes
C and XML-Spy, or should I read books on Schema and
DOM?

*BOOKS*

*How is C++ XML by Fabio Arciniegas?
 Is it outdated?  How old books should I consider?

*What about XML Companion by Neil Bradley?

*The Official XMLSPY Handbook by  Larry Kim?

*Other books? should I read more about Schema?

The actual legacy files has one  type which contains
information about printers, including information
about possible value in the second type of files which

are for papers that can be printed on these printers.

So there would be one base schema, XML files for the
printers containing a mix of Schema and other XML
constructs, and XML files for the papers referring to
one such printer XML...

These possible values in the paper files are
combination of a restricted list of tag-values, to
many to write out every combination.

How easy is it to express this in Schema compared
to writing  my own XML constructs adopted to the
specs i get (How expressive is Schema)?

Generally the important thing is generating valid
paper documents.
Validation is just "nice to have".

Is it correct that such generation only comes with
DOM level 3, not  jet implemented in Xerces-C?
Also is it so that validation of DOM is not supported
in Xerces-C?

Am I left with  using the DOM of the Schemas
to generate my documents?

Any technologies that might be better in this respect?

Thanks for your time
Olav

Re: Some getting started questions.

Posted by "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tf...@netcentral.com>.
In my opinion, this is a great all around XML reference. Make sure to
get the 3rd Edition.

I'm not really able to answer your other questions, though.

-tfo