Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/22 11:47:42 UTC

Confusing repo layout

I think the current repo layout is somewhat confusing, by my point of view.

I see tapestry5 main dir as the trunk/HEAD/CURRENT which involve the
development of the leading edge features and improvements while
tapestry4/trunk and all dirs under tapestry4/branches/ (which includes
old released/tagged/branched code) under the main branches directory,
i mean, they are indeed branches, don't they?

I would lay it out as follows:

At the root only the canonicals:
branches/
tags/
trunk/

under trunk the current content of tapestry5/trunk (as a maven2
multi-module project).
under branches the content of tapestry4/trunk in a branch called
(let's say) 4 and all the branches under tapestry4/branches.
tags remains untouched.

While if you wish to have different development life cycle for the
different modules under tapesty5/trunk (just as tapestry-core) i would
pull up tapestry-core (and all the future modules) to the root and
give it a trunk directory.
But i would rather go for a trunk which contains a "maven2
multi-module" project.

Which is the purpose of the current layout?

As i said these are my .02 euro-cents so thanks for take time to read it
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Confusing repo layout

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 4/23/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You must have missed the discussion (on this list).  The tapestry4
> layout is transitional. As we get things broken up a little and
> converted into Maven2 builds, you'll see a more sensible layout.

No i didn't, the same goal could have caught up with an (at least by
me) easier to understand transitional layout.

This is not to blame anyone, i wanted to only suggest that probably
there could be another way to arrange this transitional repository to
fit the tipical svn layout so anyother svn user new to tapestry can
easly read it.

Thanks for your reply
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Confusing repo layout

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On 4/22/06, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the current repo layout is somewhat confusing, by my point of view.
>
> I see tapestry5 main dir as the trunk/HEAD/CURRENT which involve the
> development of the leading edge features and improvements while
> tapestry4/trunk and all dirs under tapestry4/branches/ (which includes
> old released/tagged/branched code) under the main branches directory,
> i mean, they are indeed branches, don't they?
>
> I would lay it out as follows:
>
> At the root only the canonicals:
> branches/
> tags/
> trunk/
>
> under trunk the current content of tapestry5/trunk (as a maven2
> multi-module project).
> under branches the content of tapestry4/trunk in a branch called
> (let's say) 4 and all the branches under tapestry4/branches.
> tags remains untouched.
>
> While if you wish to have different development life cycle for the
> different modules under tapesty5/trunk (just as tapestry-core) i would
> pull up tapestry-core (and all the future modules) to the root and
> give it a trunk directory.
> But i would rather go for a trunk which contains a "maven2
> multi-module" project.
>
> Which is the purpose of the current layout?
>
> As i said these are my .02 euro-cents so thanks for take time to read it
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship