Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/04/01 00:43:11 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version5.0.0-alpha(3rd round)

Hi sebb,

I see your point, that is why we provide the build document[1] if you want to build from GitHub tag. Git submodules are used in our project for binding multi repos. The source codes tar is provided by running some source code release process, by following project document[2] and script [3].

And for `dependency-reduced-pom.xml`, it is generated in building the project, when we run build and tar source code. If you think we should not include it, I think we can add an exclusion in next release.

Is that good enough for you?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-alpha/docs/en/How-to-build.md#build-from-github
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-alpha/docs/en/How-to-release.md#build-and-sign-the-source-code-package
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-alpha/tools/releasing/create_source_release.sh

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking original creator and PPMC member

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 08:28 AM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version5.0.0-alpha(3rd round)

On 1 April 2018 at 00:53, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:
>> Please include the SCM URL in the VOTE email, as the tag and commitId
>> aren't much use without it.
>

> Hi Sebb
>

> The SCM url with tag is this : https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/v5.0.0-alpha
>

> Thanks.

I see.

However that does not actually have a tag with the name '5.0.0-alpha'

Also, when I compare the contents of
apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-alpha-src.tgz with the tag,
there are several files in the source release that don't appear to
have a counterpart in the Git repo.

For example, apm-sniffer/apm-agent/dependency-reduced-pom.xml

skywalking-ui/*

That does not seem right

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 9:12 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 April 2018 at 14:03, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > From reading through this, I think I understand the confusion faced.
> >
> > Typically when we see a source release, its tied to a single git repo.
> > Generating the source release in this case involves a special type of git
> > checkout, which IMHO is just fine.
> >
> > It just needs to be documented that when you clone the repo, it's using
> the
> > --recurse-submodules flag.  This should result in
> >
> > Cloning into 'incubator-skywalking'...
> > remote: Counting objects: 114594, done.
> > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (38/38), done.
> > remote: Total 114594 (delta 10), reused 29 (delta 2), pack-reused 114539
> > Receiving objects: 100% (114594/114594), 134.38 MiB | 4.55 MiB/s, done.
> > Resolving deltas: 100% (44254/44254), done.
> > Submodule 'apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto' (
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-data-collect-protocol.git
> )
> > registered for path 'apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto'
> > Submodule 'skywalking-ui' (
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking-ui)
> > registered for path 'skywalking-ui'
> > Cloning into
> >
> '/Users/johnament/src/apache/incubator-skywalking/apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto'...
> > remote: Counting objects: 52, done.
> > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (44/44), done.
> > remote: Total 52 (delta 34), reused 10 (delta 8), pack-reused 0
> > Cloning into
> > '/Users/johnament/src/apache/incubator-skywalking/skywalking-ui'...
> > remote: Counting objects: 4374, done.
> > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (84/84), done.
> > remote: Total 4374 (delta 38), reused 51 (delta 17), pack-reused 4268
> >
> > Receiving objects: 100% (4374/4374), 3.56 MiB | 6.15 MiB/s, done.
> > Resolving deltas: 100% (2107/2107), done.
> > Submodule path 'apm-protocol/apm-network/src/main/proto': checked out
> > 'c02c12af12116121e25155d1f3fca0fadee5f2e9'
> > Submodule path 'skywalking-ui': checked out
> > '922c012efd0c385e3c502d06d2730c73452f779d'
> >

> > and then the checks that Sebb is trying should work.
> >
> > Sheng, do you know if this checkout is documented somewhere?
>
> Also, when GitHub is used to grab the code as a Zip, it does not
> include the submodules.
>
> Maybe there is a setting that can tell GitHub to adjust the Zip
> contents as well.

I don't believe we treat the github download zip as a canonical release
(e.g. its contents need not match) but it may be worth getting it clarified
in policy.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Sebb

Even more, I and SkyWalking community welcome you to help us, your English and English document experiences are much better. So if you have time, please consider to send a pull request to help us organize the documents better. We also can chat more at there.

Thanks a lot.

------------------

From:  "吴晟 Sheng Wu"<wu...@foxmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 10:11 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Hi Sebb.

I also want to make this more clear, since several people asked before. But the tag/release pages from GitHub, have no place to write build notice. Do you have any suggestion?

And for using git submodules, there are several requirements, we didn't use that from beginning.
1. SkyWalking community are building nodejs, C#, golang sdk/agent based on SkyWalking protocol, that is why SkyWalking protocol repo existed.
2. SkyWalking UI is very complex, and no Java tech stack related. The ci, tests are all Nodejs and react related.

------------------

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 09:31 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Agreed that the Zip/Clone URLs on the GitHub page are not a canonical source.

However it's not at all obvious that using these links will not
actually create a copy of the full source, as I found out.

If it is not possible to update GitHub settings so that the Zip is
complete, then it would be useful if the relevant part of the
documentation made this clear.

AFAIK Git projects with submodules are relatively rare, so IMO
projects that use the feature should make it clear.

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 09:31 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by peng-yongsheng <80...@qq.com>.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Sebb

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 09:12 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi John

That checkout command should work form your log and my experience. We provided a different document : https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/v5.0.0-alpha/docs/en/How-to-build.md#build-from-github . The result is same, the reason we put documents in that way is, some one in our community is using GUI tool, such as source tree. We are trying to separate the steps.

------------------

From:  "John D. Ament"<jo...@apache.org>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 1, 2018 09:03 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

From reading through this, I think I understand the confusion faced.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
From reading through this, I think I understand the confusion faced.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 April 2018 at 01:43, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:
> Hi sebb,
>

> I see your point, that is why we provide the build document[1] if you want to build from GitHub tag. Git submodules are used in our project for binding multi repos. The source codes tar is provided by running some source code release process, by following project document[2] and script [3].

I see.
So cloning the Git repo is not sufficient to get all the code (unless
there is an option to automatically include submodules that I have
missed).

> And for `dependency-reduced-pom.xml`, it is generated in building the project, when we run build and tar source code. If you think we should not include it, I think we can add an exclusion in next release.

That would be a good idea.

> Is that good enough for you?

I think there is a problem with the build process, because the source
artifact contains other items that are not in Git.

$ diff -r incubator-skywalking/ apache-skywalking-apm-incubating-5.0.0-alpha