Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p_...@fumagalli.org> on 1999/03/17 20:50:01 UTC

Re: mod_jserv/4043: Can't run servlets when laptop is not connected to a network

The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/4043; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p_...@fumagalli.org>
To: RICHARD MCKNIGHT <ri...@usa.net>
Cc: richm@knightstar.com, apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/4043: Can't run servlets when laptop is not connected  to
 a  network
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:49:53 +0100

 RICHARD MCKNIGHT wrote:

 > Hi Peir,
 >
 > It turns out that if I am not connected to the network I can disable my PCMCIA
 > card and run OK.  Apparently if the PCMCIA card is enabled but neither
 > connected to a phone or a LAN, mod_jserv/JServ gets confused.
 >
 > I also notice that *usually* I cannot connect to the 8007 port (JServ engine)
 > if the card is enabled with no network connection.
 >
 > At this point I have a work around (albeit crude) so I am whole. But I am very
 > willing to continue to help with the debugging of this for a more well defined
 > solution.
 >
 > I will try to further characterize this behaviour and give you more feedback.
 >
 > Thanks for all of your help up to this point.

 It seems that the bug resides in localhost binding from the JVM...
 I don't know how it works under windows, but it seems that when you're
 not connected to the network, the localhost interface is "somehow"
 disabled... (MicroSoft Mysteries)...

 Just check if you have a card in Windows95 called "localhost" or
 "looback" something (under Windows NT there is), if it's there, just
 install it and choose the 127.0.0.1 address for it w/ a netmask of
 255.0.0.0...
 It should solve the problem...

 Please, also, can you tell me if, while doing those tests, the PCMCIA
 card was in the slot or not (you removed it, or just disconnected the
 network cable?)

 --
 Pierpaolo Fumagalli - Java Apache Project - <http://java.apache.org/>
 E-Mail  <ma...@fumagalli.org>  <ma...@iname.com>