Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by C F <ta...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/09 21:07:20 UTC

Newbie questions about Turbine

Hello,

I've programmed some small Java apps in the past but I'm relatively new to the whole web application development "framework" scene.  I've been researching a lot of the open source products on the web over the last few weeks and frankly, I'm overwhelmed.  In my mind, one of the most difficult tasks of the application I'm building is a complex user management/permissions scheme that is required.  I've read most of the docs on Turbine, but I'm one of those people who needs to actually TRY it out to truly understand what it's all about.

For the sake of simplicity let's just *assume* (although probably not true) that I'm not interested in any of Turbine's functionality other than just the security framework.  Would it make sense for me to use Turbine?  Is it that 'componentized'?  If not Turbine, other suggestions?

What if there were functions from Struts that I wanted to use?  Is it difficult to mix-and-match just the pieces of Struts and Turbine that you want?  Is this a really dumb question.

I'm sure I sound very ignorant... and that's because I AM on this subject.  I'm just trying to get a grasp about what this is all about.  Any info would be much appreciated.  I'm eyeing Velocity to be used in conjunction with Turbine..... in case that matters.

Thanks!